39.

Acknowledging you have a crush on someone changes things. Not in a huge way, but just enough to make you peeved about it.

Even as I headed towards the Commons Gym to meet the current object of my desires, I was subconsciously dressed better than I usually would be for a training session.

I was wearing a pair of sneakers that pinched my toes, only on Mich's insistence that I never wore those. I also never wore a crop top or leggings to training but here I was. My head faced forward as I avoided eye contact with any of the fit adults power-walking or jogging around this time of the evening. I guess it was nice of Christopher to insist on the evening, instead of early in the morning and avoid my Sunday wrath.

I pushed the door open, only to pause as Christopher bent over. My head cocked a bit and I couldn't help a smirk. Christopher had a really nice butt. How did I never notice before?

He turned around as he heard the door open. "Hey." Christopher exhaled. His hair matted to his forehead with sweat.

My head straightened and I nodded to him as I headed towards the bleachers. Tugging my earphones out, I dropped my bag and turned to face him. "So, how was your run?"

He nodded breath still laboured. "Good. Did you walk here?"

"Stroll. I'm under no obligation to run here just because you did."

Christopher rolled his eyes. "It would've been a better warm-up than just stretches."

"I had a coffee. It should be kicking in about now."

He gave an exasperated sigh but I could see the amusement in his eyes. Turning towards the doors that lead inside the school, he beckoned me with a hand. "Come on."

I frowned. "Where?"

"It's better to use the private training rooms on the last floor. Wafi was expressly clear with his instructions."

The mention of Wafi immediately soured my face. I picked up my bag and jogged up to him. "Wafi can go drown in hell." Neither of us can burn.

Surprise passed through Christopher's face. He glanced down at me. "I'm not happy either that he's ordering us around for training... but he's right, you know. He's just doing this for you."

"Whatever." I threw out. The word my right as a petulant, overstressed teenager. "You'll always take his side."

"Not always." He glanced at me over his shoulders as we headed upstairs. "Be as angry as you want, you know he's doing this for you. Especially considering at this point, I have less than six months before I graduate and you have even lesser before you're outed."

My expression degraded even further as that dreadful day was brought up. "I don't want to think about it right now." I said softly as we headed up the last flights of stairs.

Christopher sighed. He slowed down to fall back a little and walk beside me. I could feel his eyes on me right as I felt a hesitant hand land on my shoulder.

Surprise passed through me and I inadvertently stiffened.

He pulled away. "I forgot you don't like to be touched. Sorry."

"No, it's okay. I'm fine." I rolled my shoulders to dispel my dreary mood. "I might as well make the best of my current freedom then."

"Being a royal isn't that bad." Christopher cocked an eyebrow, a bit defensive.

"For me, it will be. People believe I'm sixteen, so they'll assume I lied on purpose. My position in the Trials might be challenged and stripped away."

There was silence as I said that till Christopher stopped at a non-descript door with the simple plaque— 'TRAINING 2'. He pulled out his ID card to press it against the scanner till it beeped and the door unlocked. "It only lets seniors in. It's logged so people don't get away with stealing equipment."