53.

I didn't move, but I could still see worry on both their faces from where I was. They're definitely here to see Wafi. I hadn't realised the head injury was that serious. Mainly because I wasn't being told anything about it.

All activity on the beach had come to a standstill. All the people playing football were oblivious to the ball rolling towards the water, the volleyball players had paused in the middle of the serve. Even the sunbathers were sitting up, watching the chopper.

As the Regent and Christopher started heading towards the villa, there was the crunch of sand all around as people fell to their knees, bowing to the Regent. I dropped a knee to the ground too, placing my elbow on it as I partially bowed my head, watching the two. Their eyes roamed all over us. The Regent gave a us a blank smile, waved his hand for us to stand and resume our activities.

I stood back up. My eyes followed them as I wondered when would be the right time to approach them. As if reading my mind, Christopher somehow met my eyes. He stopped where he was, and leaned in to whisper something in the Regent's ear. The Regent's eyes widened a bit in surprise, he turned to look at the people on the beach again. He took longer to spot me, but the happiness that crossed his face was genuine.

Like a small kid, he waved at me. His frail body turned towards the stairs that led to the beach. Christopher had a moment of panic where he managed to grab the Regent's elbow and stop him from descending. The Regent frowned up at him and said something. Christopher met my eyes a moment later and jerked his head towards the entrance of the villa. I nodded.

I jogged towards the entrance and struggled not to break into a full out sprint and hide my urgency. I could already imagine the rumors. It doesn’t matter. Every problem right now pales in comparison to Wafi. I ran anyway up to where the staff of the house waited for them. The butler greeted the Regent with a handshake, but the Regent impatiently brushed him aside to walk to me.

"Fiera!" He smiled wide, a spark made it's way into his milky hazel eyes. He opened his arms as he laughed. "It's been so long!"

I accepted his hug, my arms settled around his bent, frail form as my eyes met Christopher's behind his back. "It's nice to see you too after so long, Sir Regent. How's your health?"

He pulled away with a dismissive wave of his hand. "I have my good days and my bad days. But right now, I'm here to see Wafi." He frowned at me. " And I told you to call me Dominic."

I gave a shy laugh and ignored the confused looks from the staff. "I'm more comfortable this way, Regent."

He rolled his eyes as he started to walk away. "You will have to change that after your birthday."

"I will, Sir Regent."

Christopher fell in step with me, a warm smile on his face. "It's been a while, Fi."

Shivers ran down my back as he said my name. "Couldn't have been longer." I replied tightly.

"So, Fiera." The Regent called me again, I moved forward to face him as he spoke. "How's Wafi?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. This is the first time I'm visiting him since yesterday."

"Why? Is he okay?"

I shrugged. "I wouldn't know, Sir Regent. The doctor wouldn't let me in to see him no matter how much I tried. I'm not..." I paused to exhale irritatedly. "... because I'm not related to him."

I saw thunder pass through the Regent's face. His grey eyes hardened into slates as his lips pressed into a thin line. For a moment there, I could see how regal he used to be. "I'll talk to him about that. I'm sorry you had to go through that, Fiera... with less than a month left to go for your Declaration."