33.

I was forced awake by the alarm I'd forgotten to switch off. An irritated growl escaped me, and then I groaned in pain as the headache from yesterday's crying hit me. Shaking my heavy head, I pushed myself off the bed and stumbled to the bathroom.

It was a while before I felt stable enough to head downstairs. My head still felt like a sandbag attached to a hot air balloon. The two glasses of water went a long way in rehydrating me.

I walked over to the door as I contemplated whether I should head to school today or not. However my heart wasn't into it. I still didn't feel up to facing my friends again. Or the wave of news and gossip awaiting me in school. It could actually be worse if I showed up tomorrow instead because they'd attribute my day off to my injuries... they're not that severe. However I certainly can't strain myself with them.

And when it comes to Rhaeya... I don't think I can face her. I don't know how she would react, and honestly, I don't want to show up and test it. The burn on my side stung with even the slightest brush of cloth against it. My skin felt tender and rawe. All I wore was a bra and shorts. There was a robe on hand if I had to answer the door. I settled onto the couch with a cold cloth pressed on my skin.

Half my day went like that. I lazed it away on the couch, or upstairs, or the kitchen. I still felt emotionally drained yet weirdly hyper at the same time. My body felt ready to do something stupid while my mind felt too broken to even do basic mathematics. Today's not a day I'll be touching my books.

Around a little while after recess would've ended in school, the bell rang. Surprise passed through me. Did Eric and Flo skip training to come over? I hope not. I'm still not up to facing them.

I peeled the wet towel off my body and placed it in the ice bowl before getting up. The robe on the couch went around my body, closed by a tight knot at the front, so nothing would peek through. I glimpsed a car parked on my driveway through the windows and stiffened. A sports car.

I ran to the door, yanked it open to see Christopher. His head was ducked, a hood pulled over and shoulders hunched as he gave a sheepish smile. "Hey." His powers of disguise are off the chart.

My hand shot out to grab his collar. Surprise passed through his face as I pulled him inside and shoved him against the wall before glancing up and down the street.

"No one's... here." He said from behind me.

I slammed the door shut, not because of his assurance but because I'd confirmed it— and turned to glare at him. "Why are you here alone?"

"Alone? What do you mean alone? How else would I show up?"

"With Wafi. I figured you guys come in pairs."

Christopher chuckled. He relaxed a bit as I let him peel himself away from the wall. "I don't have to come with him. You make me sound like a Pokemon."

"Atleast then you'd both be fictional." I snapped. He rolled his eyes. "Why are you really here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Christopher pushed his hood off. He ran a hand to fix his straight, black hair. "I'm here to check up on you."

"Why?"

"Because you seemed seriously hurt yesterday after Rhaeya took you... both down. And when you didn't show up today... I will admit I got a little worried."

"You keeping tabs on me, Christopher Nathan Waterstone?" I chuckled as I relaxed a bit. "I'm touched."

"Don't use my full name. Only my sister does that." Christopher said with a grimace.

I shrugged indifferently and gestured to the living room. "Sit down. I'll get you something to drink."

"Uh... thanks."