41.

It was a bit easier to talk in an environment where there wasn't always somebody or the other passing by. The hours flew by as the three of us just talked about nothing in particular, but everything at the same time. We'd actually finished dinner quite early because Wafi had picked me up for it almost as soon as I'd returned home. It was almost midnight by the time they left. I watched the two get into their cars before they zoomed off.

Exhaustion helped me drop off fast. Christopher's face was the last thing in my mind as I headed into the darkness. The slightly wistful look in his eye made me wonder if he was thinking the same thing I was when he left. What if it had just been the two of us?

Last night almost felt surreal. Being able to go out with my brother and the guy I like. Sure, Wafi third-wheeled but since he'd called Christopher first, it was technically I who'd third-wheeled. The pile of waiting homework was, in a way, confirming that last night had really happened. Why does the homework load increase right before holidays? Or right before exams? It's like they don't want to let us actually study.

Eric and Flo were none the wiser when they came to pick me up. I pretended not to notice the renewed stares as I made my way through the parking lot in a hurry. It took a lame excuse to separate myself from my friends but the anger from them was palpable once lunch rolled around.

"Why didn't you tell us?!" Eric hissed. I'd been cornered by my locker. They'd been waiting for me.

My eyes flickered around the crowded hallway. A few eyes turned towards us but Eric was careful to keep his voice low. Flo stood there quietly, her books hugged to her chest and looking hurt.

My heart twisted. "I'll tell you everything outside. Please, not here."

The two exchanged glances and backed away from me as I slammed my locker shut. We walked outside with the two flanking me like I was going to try to escape. They sat down by our tree, looking expectantly at me to begin.

And begin, I did.

Omitting the fact that Wafi had driven up to my home, I just said that I got a call from an unknown number which turned out to be him and he asked me if I could meet him at the restaurant. I also lied about not knowing Christopher was going to be there, and the fact that the three of us headed to my house after for cake and ice cream. Wafi did drop me home in a way but that was where I ended the retelling of last night. They still seemed pissed.

"What I didn't understand..." Eric began slowly once I stopped "... is that why did we have to find this out from other people, and not you?"

I ducked my head, unable to meet his searching eyes. "I... I didn't want to you guys to think any different of me."

"And you thought it would be better to hear it from strangers talking about how you're being 'fought over' by not one, but two Prince Regents?!" Flo burst out, surprising me in more ways than one. "I know you say your feud with Elizabeth is done and over with, but this is worse!"

I cocked an eyebrow. "How is this worse? I'm a Fire Elemental with a possible future position in the security team guarding the Fire Royals, meeting with the Water and Fire Prince Regents. Who, by the way, are actually like, really good friends." I shrugged. "I'm not getting hurt, you're not getting hurt. It's just rumours on what might have gone down. No one but I, and those two, know what we talked about."

Eric frowned suspiciously, his green eyes narrowed. "What did you all talk about?"

I shrugged vaguely to give it an air of nonchalance as I spoke. My easy tone belied my racing heart. "Normal stuff. It was pretty awkward in the beginning because it was only the two of them talking at first. Felt like I was third-wheeling, but then the conversation turned a bit more normal as the food arrived."