43.

I sent my last text to Christopher before setting to work as the rush hour came in. People seemed to linger longer because of him, and it certainly didn't help that I had to personally serve him. I was too frazzled rushing in and out of the kitchen to grace him with a smile.

As per my instructions, he left about half an hour before my shift ended. I'd told him to meet me at my house. I hoped he didn't take it as an invitation for something else, I really needed to talk to him. No sooner did my shift end, that I threw in the shirt, dashed to the door and zoomed off on my bike with a hasty wave thrown at Brett. He seemed a bit bewildered to say the least, but he'd get over it. Probably chalk it down to an incomplete assignment.

I could see Christopher's car in the driveway through the trees as I approached my place. I pressed a button on the remote in my pocket, slowing to let the garage door rise completely before I parked my bike inside. Christopher got out of the car. He walked leisurely towards the open garage. I frowned at his slow pace and wide grin, and no sooner was he within reach that I tugged him into the garage and dragged him into the kitchen through the connecting door.

"Can you walk any slower?! Jeez!" I threw my hands up as I faced him. "What if somebody had seen us out there?"

"Please." Christopher scoffed, relaxed as I shrugged my bag off. "Barely anybody uses this road."

"Some do." I countered, still annoyed. I had to turn my back to him so I could lean against the counter, palms down, shoulders hunched. "As much as I hate saying this, I... I cannot be seen with you."

"Hey." Christopher's voice turned soft as I felt his arms slide around my waist. "It's okay. I'm careful. I took a roundabout route to get here, just in case. I know how much you need to keep this secret."

"Do you?" I sighed as he placed his chin on my shoulder. "You showed up at work."

"Because I did need a place to study. I study better with people around."

"That's nice and all, but there are other places who'd be much happier to have you."

"There are." His breath tickled my ear. "But I'd be much happier to have you." I felt myself blush, my head turned to look at him. He smiled at me, his blue eyes sincere and his smile soft. "It's nice to see you after a long day. I just want to be with you, but I'm pretty sure if I approach you in school... you'll treat me like I'm a leper."

"Technically, it should be you treating me as a leper." I paused. "You probably shouldn't approach me in the first place."

"Really?" He challenged. A smirk on his lips as he leaned in. "Not approach you in school, you say?"

I felt my heart skip a beat as my eyes flickered to his lips. "Yes. I did say..."

"But that doesn't mean..." He trailed off, his lips brushed against mine as his hands tightened at my waist. "I can't approach you anywhere else."

With that, he pressed his lips against mine. A slow kiss, soft and reassuring. Filling me with warmth and a desire for more... but I couldn't. I couldn't keep this up.

I pulled away, lips parted and breath erratic. Looking away before turning around in his arms to face him. He smiled down at me, and leaned in again with a dark spark in his eyes. I just looked down, his lips pressed against my forehead. I could feel the surprise pass through him followed by his body tensing up as I spoke.

"We... We have to stop." I forced out, speaking to his chest. "I like you, Christopher. But there is too much going on right now. I can't deal with keeping you a secret."

His hand slid up my arm to push my chin up so I could meet his eyes. "Then, don't keep me a secret." He replied, eyes glued to mine in all seriousness.

"I... I-it's not that easy. Not for me, at least."