Part 16

Rebel Base, Atollon, 1329, 3278 LY

     The peaceful form of Ezra lied asleep on one of the medbay's beds. Beside him sat Kanan, his Master, face in hands. He had sat there constantly, in a sort of vigil, giving his Padawan small spurts of healing. Ezra still hadn't woken up, and if Kanan was honest with himself, he didn't know how long it had been since the blast. 

     His leg had healed up nicely thanks to Hera, who was walking into the medbay. Kanan kept watch protectively over Ezra as a Master would over their apprentice. He didn't think the Twi'lek even knew that he knew she was in there with him. She whispered, ''Kanan, love, you need to get some sleep. It's been six days, four of which since you've slept.'' 

     Kanan turned his head to regard Hera. ''I slept for almost two days,'' he argued. ''I think I'll be fine.'' It was true; besides, Kanan wasn't tired. ''Besides, I'm not tired.''

     ''Kanan Jarrus,'' Hera growled, a threatening tone in her voice, ''if you do not go get some sleep, I will grab that tranquilizer gun, and you will not like it.'' That grabbed Kanan's attention, and he placed his face in his hands, contemplating. He wanted to stay with Ezra, wanted his apprentice to be okay. He wanted to be there when Ezra woke up, but he didn't want to be unconscious against his will when Ezra did. It would only worry the young boy. ''I'll watch Ezra, love. Go to bed.''

     Kanan finally huffed, ''Fine.'' Then he headed to his room, worry churning at his stomach. Was Ezra okay? Would he be fine? How bad was he hurting? Did Kanan do okay when he tried healing his Padawan, or did he not heal the boy enough? As he lied down, he breathed out, hoping Ezra would be fine.

     The churning waters pulled Kanan down, trying to drown him in their bottomless depths. He knew he was dreaming, but he didn't know why he was dreaming about torrential waters. He fought the current sucking him under, and broke the surface, coughing and gasping. It was dark, a white hot streak of light penetrating the storm raging above, cutting a jagged line across the sky, illuminating the churning waters. 

     The current sucked at Kanan, dragging him down again. He cut the water with his hands and feet, but the fighting was useless, getting him nowhere. Another streak of lightning cut across the sky, but all he could see was a white flash illuminating the waves of the dark, swollen water. Closing his eyes, he willed himself to wake up back at the Ghost in his room, on his bed. 

     Kanan woke up to darkness, no flashes of lightning, no storm, and no water pulling at him. What still confused him was the dream. Was it a vision? It couldn't possibly be a memory, but could it be one of Ezra's? He didn't think so. He heard footsteps running down the hall, then felt a breeze as the door swished open. ''Kanan,'' a voice began, high-pitched with panic. It was Zeb. ''Ezra's gone!'' 

     Kanan shot up out of the bed, on his feet in a second flat. ''Where is he?'' he asked, voice loud with concern. He ran out the door, down the halls, and outside of the base. He felt the bond, and reached for Ezra, following the thread to where it ended about a half-mile away. He faintly heard Zeb calling him back, but he took off, following the Master/Padawan bond. 

     He probably thinks no one loves him, Kanan realized, feeling guilty. I should have been there. I should have never left. He didn't even ask Zeb for the details, he just ran. He had to find Ezra before something got bad. 

     The Master ran quickly, his leg starting to bother him. Cursing, his run became a run-limp-run as his leg started to throb. He would push on anyway; Ezra was more important to him than a small wound. He stopped a meter in front of Ezra, waiting for the boy to notice him. Finally, he heard Ezra turn, regarding him. His aura was a torrent of emotions, and Kanan knew immediately why he had the dream he did. ''Why are you here, Kanan?'' 

     Ezra's voice was subdued, unusually quiet for the emotions raging inside him. Kanan frowned. ''Why would I not be here, Ezra? You're my Padawan. I was worried about you so much.'' 

     What Ezra said next startled Kanan. He growled, ''I doubt it. You're just saying that. If you could, you'd dump me off with the next Jedi you met.'' How could he think like that, think that Kanan didn't want him? ''You don't want me. No one does. I'm just a burden.''

     ''Ezra,'' Kanan reasoned, ''you are wanted. By the whole crew. You're not a burden. If anyone is, it's me. Hera still loves me even though I keep getting hurt or sick. And we love you, Ezra. You're family.''

     The boy asked quietly, ''Family?''

     Kanan nodded. ''Of course.'' 

     Kanan felt Ezra smile. He needed to get back to the base, but his leg was hurting noticeably now. Ezra apparently noticed this as well because he grabbed Kanan's hand and made him sit down. He hoped the stitches in the leg were holding together, but he just couldn't know. A noise above caught Kanan's attention; he realized gleefully that it was the Ghost

     Zeb yelled, ''Come on, guys!'' Kanan guessed that he had told Hera what had happened, and she came to pick them up. Ezra grabbed Kanan's hand, and he let his apprentice help him up, not putting pressure on his right leg, the one with the cut. A moment later, Zeb was there, shouldering Kanan's weight as they headed towards the Ghost

     Once they were in the medbay, Kanan felt so tired that he actually wanted to sleep. Hera was flying the ship to the base, and Sabine was messing with equipment. Ezra lied down in the bed next to Kanan's, drowsiness in his aura. The older man was almost asleep when electricity coursed through his body, causing his right leg to kick out in reflex, then he cried out. The culprit had no Force aura, so he knew it was Chopper.

     ''Chopper!'' Zeb yelled, punching him. There was a cry in return as the droid shocked the Lasat. ''Blast you!'' Kanan's leg felt like it was on fire at that point, and the electrical jolt only made him more sleepy. He got lost in the fire and the darkness, falling, falling, falling....