Part 21

Rebel base, Atollon, 2226, 3279 LY

     Kanan and Ezra sat together on the floor of the Ghost. They were supposed to be meditating, but all Ezra could picture was Kanan being angry with him for what happened on Malachor. Ezra felt only guilt, and opened his eyes. Kanan stood, lightsaber blazing in his hand, and growled, ''It's your fault that I'm blind. Now you will share my pain.'' The sizzling blade cut a path towards Ezra's eyes. All he seen was light....

     The sixteen-year-old opened his eyes, sweat beading on his forehead. It was all his fault. Kanan blamed him, too, no matter what his Master said. Ezra looked over to the right, expecting to see the Third Sister, but to his surprise, he saw Kanan. Hoarsely, he called, ''Kanan?'' His Master looked up, expression changing from a frown to a smile. ''Did you get captured, too?''

     The older male raised an eyebrow, and responded, ''No, Ezra. We're on Atollon.''

     ''How?'' Ezra inquired. ''Am I dreaming? Is any of this real? Are you going to try to blind me?''

     Ezra heard an intake of breath as Kanan wondered, ''Why would you ask that?'' Don't you blame me for your blindness? It's all my fault. Don't you blame me? ''To answer your other questions, this is real. You are awake, and you can thank Hera. She got you out of there and patched you up. How do you feel?''

     The Padawan answered, ''Sore.'' Kanan frowned, and Ezra looked down. ''How did Hera get pass the Third Sister?'' His Master's expression changed to one of confusion, and Ezra realized with a pang that Kanan didn't know. ''The new Inquisitor,'' he added to elaborate.

     Another gasp from Kanan, and a shake of the head. ''First one, then two, now how many?''

     ''At least one,'' Ezra stated, causing Kanan to smile. ''Will you stay?''

     ''For now,'' he replied grimly.