Chapter Nineteen: I Don't Fall Slow Like I Used To, I Fall Straight Down

||Patrick's POV||

I spent the next couple of days with Allie. I figured she needed me with her to console her fear of my getting hurt, plus she needed someone to talk to.

It wasn't right to be alone all the time.

Tonight was the release party to celebrate our 6th full-length studio album "American Beauty/American Psycho" and I was ecstatic. The album would be released in about two days.

Allie had been there through all of our other album releases, and I was so happy she'd be around to see this one up close and personal. She'd watched us craft these tracks, from every rhyme, to every beat, and to every verse. This album was more than just ours. It was hers too.

My mind wandered and I thought back to when I sang 'Jet Pack Blues' to her for the first time. It was shortly after we had gotten together, and around 3am. I had woken her up because I finally found some of the words I had been longing to say to her.

Of course, the words were more begging and the roles were reversed in the song, the girl was pleading for her lover to stay, but I was adamant about Allie being the first to hear what I had created.

It was for her. It was to represent the pain if she ever gave up, if she ever lost hope..if she had died that night only a few months earlier in that dingy hotel.

Allie groaned when I had shaken her awake, waving me off at first but eventually her eyes sprung open, "'Trick," Her tired voice sent chills down my spine, "what do you want it's late."

"I figured it out." I said, my eyes alight with pride, "I found the words."

She immediately understood what I had meant, after all I was cramped in our small studio all afternoon working on it.

She smiled, the need for sleep long forgotten as she gleefully sighed, "You found the words."

We trekked back downstairs to the studio I had been cramped in all day. Papers were strewn haphazardly around the room but neither of us cared as we sat at the black stool in front of the black grand piano.

"Okay," I muttered, suddenly nervous, "it's a little rough. Don't be too harsh."

She rolled her eyes, "Play for me, 'Trick."

I placed my hands delicately on the keys and began to play the tune I had become so accustomed to hearing the past few hours.

My voice came out already warmed up from the previous practicing as I read from the notebook on top of the piano. The writing was scrawled and some were scribbled, but legible.

"I got those jet pack blues
Just like Judy
The kind that make June feel like September
I'm the last one that you'll ever remember

And I'm trying to find my peace of mind
Behind these two white highway lines
When the city goes silent
The ringing in my ears gets violent

As I sang, Allie remained still, eyes watching the way my fingers danced across the keys. Her breath was stalled as she felt the music pulsing on the floorboards beneath her feet.

"She's in a long black coat tonight
Waiting for me in the downpour outside
She's singing "Baby come home" in a melody of tears
While the rhythm of the rain keeps time