Birthday

(Y/n)'s POV

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to (y/n), Happy Birthday to you~

My mom and my younger sister clapped as i made a wish and blew out the candles on the cake.

"Yay~ let's cut the cake!" I picked up the plastic cake knife from the box and began to cut the cake.

"Wait wait, lemme take a photo!" My sister whipped out her phone and quickly snapped a picture of me smiling with the knife still in the cake. "I'll send this to Dad."

My Dad was currently overseas on a business trip and unfortunately couldn't make it back for my birthday due to an urgent meeting. But, he'll be back in a few days time. I'd just have to save a bit of cake for him in a container for when he comes back.

"How many slices do you want, Mom?" I called over to my Mom who was in her room.

"Wait, i'm finding something, ask your sis first!" My Mom shouted back to me from her room.

"Delia, how many slices do you want?" I turned to look at my sister who was still using her phone.

"Give me two!" She replied, giving me a quick glance before looking back at her phone.

I put two slices of cake on her plate before bringing it to her. "Here."

"Yay, cake!" My sister, who LOVES sweet things, immediately dug her fork into one of the slices and put it in her mouth. "Mhmmm~ This is good."

"So...what did you wish for?" My sister nudged me with her elbow while giving me a knowing smile. "Is it something about going to Japan with Ja-" she started, deliberately raising her voice.

"Shhhhh..." I quickly covered her mouth. "It's just my dream now. I know i'm not allowed to yet. I need to wait till i'm older. Remember how Mom started telling us how it's dangerous for two girls to go to a foreign country alone, especially after watching Taken?" I stated, recalling how this topic became the root of our many arguments between my mother and i.

Initially, i felt it was my parents not giving me the freedom and just being overall overprotective. But now that i've had a good talk with them especially my mother, i understood where they were coming from and i just can't blame them. They have my best interests at heart after all.

"Yeah yeah i remember," she chuckled, "It's kinda funny to be honest, but i get where she's coming from."

"Exactly, so being the understanding daughter i am, i shall wait~ patiently~" i told her with a deliberate smug expression, earning a laugh from my sister.

"But!" She paused and looked at me. "Your wish will be granted by a really pretty genie...quite soon," emphasising on the word "pretty" and just smiled at me as if she knew something i didn't.

Granted? What pretty genie? While i was wondering what my sister meant, my Mom walked out of her room.

"Here," she said, handing me an envelope.

"What's this?" I received the envelope from her and looked at her puzzled.

"I know it's been your wish to-"

"OHMAGOSH THANK YOU MOM!" i screamed in excitement when realised that the envelope contained a plane ticket to Japan, totally cutting off what my mother wanted to say.

"I'm not even done speaking yet. But oh wells, i'm glad you liked it," my Mom smiled at me warmly.

"Of course i do! This is the best birthday present ever!" i said, while giving my Mom a tight hug.

"I discussed it with your Father and we decided to give you an opportunity to travel with your friend. I've bought the plane ticket and helped book the accomodation."

"YOU SERIOUS? So you mean everything is paid for?!"

"OF COURSE. I CHIPPED IN USING MY SAVINGS, DUDETTE. Didn't say it'll be granted by a pretty genie?" Delia joined the conversation, attempting to make a pose with her now empty plate.

My Mom coughed.

"Hey! What do you mean by that, Mom?" Delia pouted. "Yo (y/n), can i get another slice by the way?"

"Gah help yourself," i said, still busily looking at contents in the envelope.

"Yayyy~" she excitedly hopped over to the table.

"Food wise, we'll give you some money to spend BUT the rest will have to come from your pocket."

"Yup! No problem!" I said happily, still looking at the ticket. "Hold on, the flight is for tomorrow morning?" I looked up at my Mom, now helping herself with the cake.

"Yup."

"REALLY? I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED PACKI- WAIT THEN HOW ABOUT JAE?"

"She knows about it already..."

"Wa- How?"

-----------------------------------------------

"What do you mean you knew about this all along, Jae?"

"We, meaning your family and i planned to give you a surprise duh! Sorry for not telling you haha. But since it was your 18th birthday, we wanted to make it special."

I became speechless after what she said.

I'm really so fortunate to have such sweet people around me.

"Anyway, (y/n). See you later at the airport! I hardly started packing and i really need to start now," her laugh sounding over the phone and i could just imagine a sheepish expression on her face.

"Yeah okay sure see ya!" I ended the call and looked at my now opened empty luggage.

I yawned as i stretched my hands above my head. "I should get started too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this is the end of the first chapter! This is my first time writing a fanfic and i really hope you'd like it☺

Signing off,
(♡^♡)