Chapter 3

Maya's P.O.V.

We leave the library and I head home. First I walk in the park because it's 7:15 p.m. And mom probably isn't home yet. She's never home. I sit on the bench I usually sit on and look around at my surroundings. The sunset is beautiful and the birds and crickets are chirping. It's so quiet and peaceful. I take a deep breath in and out. It smells like nature. That nice refreshing smell, almost like a mint. "Hey Maya." A voice says and scares me.

"Ah! Oh my gosh Huckleberry you scared me!" I say putting my hand on my heart, breathing heavily. "Sorry." He says and sits next to me. "What sketch have you been working on?" He asks and tries to look over at my sketchbook. What I didn't notice is that it was on the sketch of him and I together that I drew earlier today. "Oh ha! That was an old really bad drawing that I was working on a long time ago!" I say and flip the pages so he can't see it. "Umm okay." He says laughing. "So, how was your date with Riley?" I ask. "It was fine." "Fine?" "Yeah." "Not good, not perfect, not awesome, not fun, just fine?" I ask.

"Well, it just seemed kind of awkward. We haven't talked for a while since today so it seemed like there was so much to catch up on, but there wasn't." He says frowning. "Oh cheer up Ranger Roy, not all dates are perfect but who knows, maybe your next one will be better." I say trying to cheer him up. I'm so fake though because inside I just want to say "Of course it was awkward your too much alike. Theres nothing new to learn about each other! You should be with me." But that'd be selfish. Plus they love each other. "Thanks Maya, so why are you here?" He asks "Well my mom isn't home from work and won't be for a while and I got lonely so I wanted to be surrounded by nature." I say. "What about you?"

I was going to walk Riley home, but Mr. Matthews picked her up at the theatre so I was just walking home alone, I thought I'd better walk through the park to see if you're here." He says smiling. "Wait, why do you care that I'm here?" I ask. "Because I still care about you. Even though we're not a thing, we're still best friends and best friends care about each other." Lucas says. I stare down at my lap where my sketchbook sits. I set it to the left of the bench since Lucas is on my right. "Well thanks for caring about me but you better get home. It's starting to get late and I don't want your mom to worry." I say standing up. "You sure? You should come to my place I don't want you to be lonely." He says standing up. "No that's okay, but I'll see you tomorrow at school." I say giving him a hug. "Okay see you tomorrow!" he says smiling and I start to walk away.

An hour and a half later, mom finally gets home as I'm sitting at the table eating a tuna wrap that was in the fridge. "Hi sweetie!" Mom says hanging her coat on the coat holders by the door. "Hi mom." I say quiet but loud enough for her to hear me. "How was your day?" She asks. "It was fine." I say finishing my tuna wrap. "Good." She hugs me. "How's school going?" She asks right before I walk into my bedroom and I stop in the doorway. "Why do you all of a sudden care?" I ask wrinkling my forehead. "Because I'm your mom, and I always care." She says with a frown. "Well, I don't know why you all of a sudden care about me because you never do. You're never here." I say and shut my bedroom door behind me.

I plop on my bed and think. I feel kind of bad but I'm sick of her being so careless about me. I roll over on my back and stare at the ceiling. I look at the time on my phone and it's 9:25. I'm so tired even though it's early to go to bed. I stayed up really late last night so I decide to go to bed. I pull the covers over my body and drift to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dream about Lucas and I. I'm sitting on the bench sitting next to him. "I want to break up with Riley." He says. "Why?" "Because she's been weird lately and she keeps talking about someone." He says. "Who?" "I think his name was Charles or Farley?" "Charlie!" I say angrily. Why does he always cause drama for us? "She keeps talking about how great he is and how she thinks they should be more than friends when she's talking to me and I'm her boyfriend." He says angrily. "I'm sorry Huckleberry. You deserve better." I say and he grabs my hand. I smile at him and he keeps leaning closer. He closes his eyes and I close mine until our lips meet. We finally release each other and he speaks. "So you have feelings for me?" He asks.

"Yeah....wait how'd you know that?" I ask surprised. "Well one you let me kiss you, and two you left your sketchbook at the park and I yelled for you to come get it but you didn't hear me. So I took it home and saw a beautiful sketch of the night sky and I was amazed by your work so I kept flipping through the pages, until I saw this one of you and I." He says. I open my eyes wide and am filled with anxiety. "The sketchbook!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The sketchbook!" I wake up screaming. I forgot my sketchbook at the park! What if he saw it?!

A/N Hey guys! Hope you liked this chapter! Sorry I kind of left off at a cliffhanger, but it's what makes the story interesting and make you want to keep reading, but anyway. Keep sending fanart! Thanks readers!