Chapter 18

Maya's POV

"Mom I'm home!" I shout as I enter the front door. There's no answer but Shawn is on the couch. "Hey, Maya. Where you been?" He asks. "Hey, I just went shopping for a bit that's all. Where have you been?" I ask as I sit next to him and kiss his cheek. "Here, watching TV." "Fun. Anything new today?" I ask. "No, just been here all day." "Hey sometimes it's cool just to hang out and chill for a day right?" "Yeah. I guess." He replied. RING! RING! "Here I'll be right back I've got to take this." I say and hop off the couch and walk towards my room. "Hello?" "Hey Maya, it's Josh." "Oh hey Josh, it's been a while." I reply. "Yeah it has, listen I'm going through a rough time and you're the best person I could talk to so I was wondering if you could come over and we could just talk for a while?" He asks.

"Sure boing, be there in a couple minutes." I answer. "Thanks Maya, you're the best." He says and with that we hang up. I wonder what he's going through that he needs me for. It's weird not liking him anymore so if anything happened I'll be there for him, but we're nothing more than friends. I walk out of my room and grab my jacket. "Hey, Shawn I'll be back later." I say. "Okay, love you Maya. Be careful." He says with a warming smile. "Thank you, Shawn. I love you too." I reply with a smile and I walk out the door. His apartment is at a completely different apartment building so I decide to just walk.

As I'm walking, a big, gray, sketchy van pulls up to the curb by me. I just keep walk a little faster towards Josh's apartment building. I walk around a corner and watch. A man gets out of the car and starts walking towards a little boy about the age of 7. What's a 7 year old doing walking down the streets of New York alone? "Ahhhh!" the boy screams as the man grabs the little boy and starts running toward the van. "Hey!" I scream and run after the man. Before he opens the door to the van, I punch the back of his head. He turns towards me and before he can do anything I kick him where the sun don't shine. He drops to the ground and I grab the little boy out of his arms and run into a random shop on the street. Holding the boy's hand we run into the women's bathroom.

"Are you okay?" I ask the little boy kneeling down to his size. He nods his head with tears streaming down his face. "Are you hurt?" I ask and he shakes his head meaning no. "I'm glad you're okay. What's your name?" I ask. "Tommy." He says shyly. "I'm Maya." I reply. "What were you doing on the streets by yourself?" I ask confused. "My mom and dad were fighting. My dad told me to run when my mom pulled this weird thing out of this big black bag and pointed it at my dad." Tommy says starting to cry. In my head the object he's thinking of is a gun. "Was it a gun?" I ask. "Yeah, I think that's what it's called. It's made to kill people. Do you think my daddy is okay?" Tommy asks still crying. "I'm sorry Tommy. Maybe he's okay but he made sure that your safe and that's what good dads do." I say. He looks at me and starts balling. "Come here sweetie." I say with open arms. At first he stares at me and doesn't know if he should come into my hug but then he gets such a hurt look on his face and runs into my arms.

A/N
1K!!! 1K!!!! 1K!!! THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH! I LOVE YOU ALL! I'm so grateful for all of you guys! You guys are the best thank you all so much! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Sorry it is a little shorter than my normal chapters but I feel like there is so much going on I needed to give you all some time to take it in haha! Didn't see that coming now did you? Well 5 votes is all you need to get the next chapter early! 5 votes is all! 5 votes! We got 1K reads so I think we can get 5 votes. Thank you all again so much! Remember 5 votes is all you need! Thanks readers!