Chapter 7

Lucas P.O.V.

I hold Maya's hand tightly. I'm really scared for what's going to happen to her. I don't want to lose my best friend. "Lucas why are you holding her hand?" Riley asks concerned. "Because I'm scared for her and I hope she'll be okay." "So you love her?" "Riley, that's not what I'm saying!" "You're cheating on me!" "No I'm not!" "Shut up!" Mr. Matthews finishes. "You two stop! We're on the way to take your guys best friend to the hospital and your fighting about holding someone's hand on the way there!" He yells and the rest of the way there it's completely silent.

Once we get there, the paramedics immediately take her out of the ambulance. They roll out her bed and tell us to stay where we are. I pace back and forth with my hands behind my head. "Lucas what's wrong?" Riley asks. "What do you mean what's wrong?! Maya is in the hospital because she had a seizure!" "Everything's going to be okay though!" "How do you know?" "Because I know so! I'm always so bright but your always so shallow and gloom! Lucas I love you, can you please work on this?" Riley asks calmly. I take a deep breathe to calm myself. "Yes, I will work on it." I say and she kisses me.

"Whoa! No, no, no! Not happening!" Mr. Matthews says pulling Riley off of me. "Dad stop! I'm not a little girl anymore. Remember you and mom, you guys were so young." Riley says, I kind of agree with her. "Riley, I just don't want you to grow up. One day your my little girl, the next your fifteen and in your last year of junior high." He says. "You know who else is your little girl? Maya. And she's in the hospital right now, so let's go take care of her." Riley says and we walk into the hospital.

About two hours later we finally are in the hall to walk to Maya's room. As soon as we reach her door I run through and see her in her bed. She's sitting up and the doctor is putting something around her arm. It's something to check her heart rate and blood pressure. I don't know why, I'm not a doctor but anyway. "Maya!" "Huckleberry!" She screams and tries to get out of bed. The doctor stiff arms her. "Maya, don't do anything yet. I still need to check all of this so please just calm down." The doctor says. I sit down next to her. "I'm so glad you're okay." I say smiling. "Yeah, it was pretty scary. One second I'm in the hall with you, the next everything goes black then I wake up in the hospital." She says. "I know it must've been-" "Maya!" Riley yells from the doorway. "Riles!" Maya yells and they smile at each other.

The doctor finally leaves. I pick Maya up and spin her around in circles. "Not too high, I'm only in a hospital gown." She smiles. "Sorry." I say and let her down. "So where's your mom?" Mr. Matthews asks. "She...hasn't shown up yet." Maya says sadly and sighs. "I guess she just doesn't care." "I'm sorry." Riley says and gives her a hug. "I'll be right back." Mr. Matthews says and doesn't return for a long time. "So are you feeling better?" I ask. "Yeah I feel a bit nauseous and it doesn't help with you spinning me around." She says smiling. "I'm sorry okay! Just arrest me!" I say putting my hands up laughing. "I'm not gonna arrest you Huckleberry, your so....innocent." She says with a smile. "What's that supposed to mean?" "That you would never end up in jail." "Ever?" "Ever." "What about my Texas side?" I ask. "No not your Texas side! That's the one thing I don't like about you." Riley says. "And how I'm so gloomy and shallow all the time?" I ask. "Umm I'm gonna go look for my dad." Riley says and leaves. Now it's just Maya and I.

"What a great excuse." Maya says. "Right?" I ask laughing. "Sooo.." I start. "Soooo?" Maya asks. "I'm just so glad you're okay. You scared me really bad and you better not do it again." I say. "Okay, I won't." Maya says laughing. I start leaning in toward her and she starts leaning in. We're about to kiss. "Daddy, why'd you leave us?" I hear Rileys voice in the hall. We both jerk back and Riley bursts through the door without seeing anything. "I went to go get a snack from the vending machine and apparently they're out of gummy bears!" He says angrily. "Well gummy bears are pretty good so I guess they'd probably be out of stock right now." Maya says smiling. "Yeah probably." I say laughing.

The rest of the night the nurses bring Maya dinner and we go get some from the cafeteria then come back to Maya's room and talk, laugh, and have a great time. Once it gets to nine o'clock the nurse comes in. "Well I'm sorry to say this but if you weren't on planning on spending the night, then you better pack up because our policy doesn't allow visitors to wait here til eleven at night." She says. "Okay, well Riley we'd better go. Mom and Auggie miss us." Mr. Matthews says. "Okay fine." Riley says and gives Maya one last hug. "What about you Lucas?" Riley asks me as they're about to leave. "Id like to spend the night if that's okay?" I ask the nurse. "Sure. We have that couch over there and that chair and-" "Can I just lay in the bed with Maya?" I ask. Rileys eyes widen like I just came from Mars. "Umm sure. Just don't mess with any of the chords." The nurse says with a smile and walks out.

"Bye Riley! Bye Mr. Matthews Maya and I say goodbye. Riley rolls her eyes and they head home. I sit in the bed with Maya and she rests her head against my shoulder. "Why are you staying here?" Maya asks. "Because I want to know if you're going to be okay." "But I'll be fine. This bed will not be very comfortable for you and neither will the couch or the chair." Maya says to me. "Maya I'm going to stay here. I need to make sure you're going to be okay. You're my best friend and I can't stand the thought of-" I start but Maya interrupts me by kissing me.
.