Chapter 7 - Investigation

You couldn't do anything but... stare. You've seen so many corpses, all in various conditions, ranging from unscathed to dismembered and unidentifiable. So why was it that you couldn't process the fact that you were looking at yet another dead body?

'Oh yeah, that's right. I didn't know any of the others. No connection just makes killing so much more easier.' You thought, remembering it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

You blocked out all of the screams and gasps of your classmates behind you. You just... stared. You sat down, cross-legged on the floor, closing your eyes. You took deep breaths and released them slowly, eventually regaining your composure. The thought that you were sitting directly in front of the body of your former dead friend reappeared in your mind occasionally, but you dismissed it immediately after. As you've said to others so many times before, you have to accept the situation in order to get anywhere, and it only makes things worse if you panic.

'Stay calm. Breathe. It won't do if you become a hypocrite, will it? You need to brave on. What would Byakuya be thinking right now? Knowing him, he would probably tell you to find his killer and prevent anyone else from becoming a victim. You're capable of at least the first half, and you can move onto the second when the time comes.' You reassured yourself. Your eyes fluttered open as you went back to your composed self.

The others were still standing in shock and horror, still not believing the situation. You stood up and walked over to them, tuning back into their cries. They were all yelling in disbelief, some in tears. The first body had appeared.

'And one of us killed him.'

"Good gracious, things quickly took a turn for the worse." Monokuma appeared out of nowhere, standing in the middle of the circle you and your classmates had formed.

"My, my! Now this is interesting!" He let out a manic laugh. "On this tropical paradise known as Jabberwock Island, the very first murder has finally taken place!"

"M-Murder?!" Hajime exclaimed in incredulity.

"H-Hold on! Then, does this mean...?" Nagito started.

"Upupupu! Why, of course!" Monokuma interrupted. "Byakuya Togami... was murdered by one of you!"

"Well, if you look at his body, it doesn't really look like an accident, does it?" You noted. Everyone looked at you for being able to be so sarcastic in a situation like this.

"Upupupu! That's right! I mean, look at his face!" You sweatdropped at Monokuma's statement.

'You can't even see his face.. it's laying face down in a pool of blood...'

"A face filled with regret that his life was ended by someone's selfishness! To have a dying face like that... If this isn't murder, then what is?" Monokuma piped up enthusiastically.

"He was probably killed by someone who was desperate to get off the island.. so that doesn't really narrow it down." You said, looking up in thought.

"L-Lies... It's all lies! You're lying! You're lying that he was murdered!" Hajime screamed. You snapped out of your thoughts and shivered. You could practically feel the despair overwhelming the room.

"Wh-What is this?! I-Is that really... Byakuya?" Peko and Chiaki had entered the dining hall, their eyes wide with shock.

"Why... Why did this happen? Why... Byakuya?" Chiaki asked rhetorically, or at least, you thought it was rhetorical, since no one except the murderer would be able to answer anyway.

"So, it appears Fuyuhiko is the only one who isn't here! In spirit of keeping everyone updated and on the same page, let's do this the usual way!"

A melodic, four-note tune played, and everyone's attention directed towards the monitor in the corner of the room.