Chapter 18

You tiredly rubbed your eyes after awakening from the most peaceful slumber you'd had on the island yet. Despite all that had happened the previous night, you were able to sleep like a log.

The Monokuma announcement automatically played to indicate the start of a new day, so you got up and got ready for the day. Looking in the mirror, satisfied, you strode towards your door and left for the restaurant.

You overheard Hajime chatting to Ibuki about her new music genre, but didn't join in as they had already parted ways before you reached them. By parting ways, you really meant Ibuki running around in circles as Hajime stood there and watched. He saw you approach, so before he walked to the stairs, he stopped and waited for you so you could walk together.

"So did you... y'know...?" Hajime asked implicitly. You nodded, ready to give him more information.

"You were right, there was a secret ending. 'Down Five' meant-" but you were cut off as someone had run up behind you, hugged you and twirled you around. You were caught by surprise, so you gasped, ready to elbow them in the face. When you realised it was just the always-energetic musician, you relaxed and stopped yourself.

"Sorry about that, Ibuki. My reflexes almost got the better of me," you chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of your neck. Ibuki, however, didn't seem bothered at all.

"It's all good, [F/N]! Hey, hey! [F/N], can you pat Ibuki's head? Pretty please?!" Ibuki pleaded, a cute grin on her face. You looked at her inquisitively before smiling softly and patting her softly on the head. She nuzzled into your palm like a cat before you retracted your hand.

"Yayayay! Ibuki's soooo happy now!" She jumped around, before Hajime cleared his throat and suggested that you should head to the restaurant. You complied, treading up each step behind him.

Everyone was already in there, Akane being the only one eating. Everyone greeted both you and Hajime as Ibuki was too busy drooling at the food laid out on the table. You set some food on your plate and took a random seat in the room.

After Akane asked Hajime about the amount of food he had taken for himself, both she and Hiyoko started a calm debate about food and candy. You were observing everything that was happening, consuming your food in the process, until Gundham brought up a concerning question.

"... Is Mahiru missing?"

You scanned the room like everyone else, and sure enough, there was no sign of the redhead.

"I thought she was usually the first to be here every morning," you said, raising a brow. Nekomaru nodded.

"She is. It's strange for her not to come..." he grumbled curiously.

"Is she not feeling well, perhaps?" Sonia wondered worriedly.

"It's fine if she's not feeling well, but is there a small chance that she's...?" Kazuichi trailed off, scratching his cheek.

"A-A small chance that she's what?!" Hiyoko screamed, terror in her eyes.

"Eh, I saw Mahiru outside the hotel," Akane input, food spitting out of her mouth.

"I-I see..." Kazuichi tried to hide his embarrassment by looking away. Hiyoko pouted.

"Jeez, don't say such spooky things, idiot. How about you run in a circle three times, say 'Woof', and jump off a cliff to redeem yourself?" Her pure smile was almost enough to make you believe that what she said was innocent. Almost.

"Hiyoko..." You facepalmed.

"I don't want to die like that!" Kazuichi spat.

"But aaaaaanyways, what was Mahiru doing outside the hotel?" Ibuki mused.