Chapter 11 - Execution

The results of the vote were posted soon after, and of course, Teruteru was voted as the blackened.

"Upupupu, coooooooorrect!" Monokuma started. "That's right! This time, the blackened responsible for killing Byakuya Togami is Teruteru Hanamura!"

"Nonononono..." Teruteru's mouth foamed up, his eyes still producing salty tears.

"A-Are you serious...?! Out of all these people... Are you saying a perverted ponce like him is the one who murdered Byakuya?" Fuyuhiko demanded.

"It seems so." You answered bluntly.

"B-But... WHY?! WHY DID YOU KILL HIM?" Nekomaru yelled.

"I-It was a mistake... I'm telling you, it was just a mistake... I... was only trying to save you guys... I was only trying to stop Nagito from murdering one of you!" Teruteru spluttered. Your eyes widened.

"'Trying to stop'? Does that mean you knew something about Nagito's plan?" You half-growled, furrowing your eyebrows. You looked over to Nagito, who stayed silent.

"I-I spent all morning in the old building, preparing dishes for the party... a-and then... I heard a manic laughter near the dining hall... W-When I peeked over there, I saw him. I saw Nagito, who was meant to be doing cleaning duty, putting the knife under the table...!" Teruteru's voice cracked as he recalled the story.

"I-I had a really bad feeling about it, so I continued to watch what he was doing... I saw him place the irons he brought in the storage room, and mess with the air conditioner timers... He was just... grinning. He was grinning by himself the whole time... S-So... I questioned him. W-When that happened... h-he..." He trailed off, tears continuing to well from his guilt-ridden eyes.

Teruteru Flashback

"Oh, I've been caught?" Nagito asked sheepishly.

"B-Been caught...?" Teruteru questioned nervously. "W-What are you doing? What are you scheming?!"

"... Why, I'm planning to kill someone, of course." Nagito responded casually.

"Huh?!"

"Teruteru... Just to let you know, it's pointless of you to stop me. If you stop me now, it doesn't matter. I will never give up." Nagito said confidently. "Whether it's tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or the days beyond that... I'll definitely start the killing."

"Wh-What?! No matter how much you want to leave this island, that's just...!" Teruteru couldn't find the words to describe it.

"I see... So that's what you think..." Nagito looked down in disappointment. However, he soon recovered and gave Teruteru a cunning smile.

"But, that's not it at all. This isn't about my survival. I just... want the killing to start."

"W-What are you saying...?!"

"I love everyone here, so that's why I want to be of good use to them! I love all of the Ultimates, and I admire them for being symbols of hope." Nagito's features were filled with admiration.

"That's right... In the name of Hope, I love everyone's talents from the bottom of my heart. That's why... I don't want them to lose against something like killing. I want them to prove to me that hope will never lose, no matter how daunting the despair they face may seem. I want everyone to prove to me that 'hope will never lose to despair'!" A wider smile graced his pale lips as Teruteru looked at him in shock.

"Wh-What are you saying...? I don't understand at all!"

"See, isn't it typical that if you face a strong enemy, you will become even stronger yourself? Meaning, the stronger the despair you face, the stronger everyone's hope will become, right? Well... I want to see that brightness. And in order to see it, I will become everyone's stepping stone! I want to make everyone's hope shine... It's as simple as that..." His eyes then became crazed, swirling with the insanity that had never risen before.