Chapter 30 - Execution

A/N: Thank you so much to bautki for the fantastic fanart! She just radiates confidence, and her figure is stunning! She genuinely looks how I imagined her - As though you wouldn't expect her to be the kind of person who could drive a knife through your heart! There's something about her that I just love, and I can't think of what it is because I love it all. Thank you so much!!

 "Wha wha wha wha-?" Monokuma blabbled, paw over his mouth. "That's like, three times in a row! Congratulations, you've uncovered the true identity of the horrifying blackened, who killed two girls in one day! The blackened is indeed, Mikan Tsumiki!"

Despite Monokuma's grinning, the room was heavier than ever. Mikan was the only one smiling.

"You've gotta be kiddin' me..." Fuyuhiko muttered solemnly.

"Are you seriously sayin' that... Mikan, the one who nursed us back to health... was really the one who killed them both?" Akane breathed disbelievingly. "Mikan, don't joke around with us! Did you seriously lie to us the entire time?! Were you plannin' to kill them from the very beginnin'?!"

Mikan was giggling childishly while the comments of incredulity were thrown her way.

"D-Don't just laugh, say something!" Kazuichi shouted nervously. "This is going nowhere!"

She continued her series of fits and giggles while others began to sweat anxiously. Their heart rates rose at the sight of their friend's insanity.

"This is nothing like Peko..." Fuyuhiko murmured. "She's actually gone... mental...!"

"Is there anything we can do?" you asked, furrowing your brows.

Nagito shook his head and spoke coldly. "No, not at all. She's no longer the same person. She's no longer... the Mikan Tsumiki we knew."

"What do you mean, Nagito?" Hajime pondered. "Do you know something?"

"Based on my predictions... She might have caught it, too," he answered grimly.

"The Despair Disease," you sighed in realisation, hanging your head. "Of course."

"Yeah," Nagito said. "She probably caught the Despair Disease, which was the motive for this case."

"How are you so certain that it is the Despair Disease that she has caught?" Gundham accused with his arms crossed.

"Well, if you were looking into the eyes of another for so long, you'd notice too, right?" Nagito grinned. "I know because she was the one taking care of me when I was sick. I know my consciousness was drifting in and out, but when I did see her expression..."

He paused, face falling from its natural smirk. "It was full of despair... A despair so vacant of hope that no speck of it remained."

Hajime stiffened, eyes widening. "Then that time... her body was really hot...! She must have had a fever like you all did... It makes sense now...!"

"The symptoms she had must truly have been deserving of the name; Despair Disease. Losing all hope... Never being able to carry a fragment of hope. Because of the Despair Disease, she was most likely flooded with despair."

"Is that why she can still laugh in such a hopeless situation?" you asked earnestly. He gave you a small nod.

She continued to burst out with laughter, making you tense.

"So that is what you mean by the phrase, 'She is no longer the Mikan Tsumiki we knew'," Sonia said dejectedly, a sad frown dawning her pale face.

"She's no longer the Ultimate Nurse. She's now a completely different person because she's infected with the Despair Disease..." Nagito's eyes steeled. "She's a person who deserves to be called the Ultimate Despair!"