Chapter 38

A/N: Huge thanks to @RinLovesRamen15 once again for making this fanart! I actually love the joke and this entire thing so much! I almost died when I first saw it. I genuinely feel like he would make jokes like this on a daily basis and I appreciate this so much <3 Thank you so much for making this an actual comic strip, because I know from experience that it must have taken so long to draw and colour everything! Their expressions are on point, and I just love it so much!!

Also, thanks for waiting for so long! It took me a while because I'm still adjusting to my college timetable and the work I have to do inside and outside of it, so hopefully I'll get that organised soon! Much love to you all!

"-thusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!"

Your ears twitched at the sharp tone, catching the end of the morning Monokuma announcement which you hadn't heard in so long. A small sigh escaped your parted lips as you held your forearm over your eyes to prevent the blinding rays peering through the shutters from sinking into your pupils.

As much as you wanted to remain sunken into the comfort of your bed, you knew that as the day had begun, you would have to go along with it. Besides, if the previous trials were anything to go by, then it would mean that you'd have a new island to explore very soon. With a grunt, you rolled out of bed, moving to complete your daily routine.

You didn't waste any time before heading straight towards the restaurant, eager to meet up with your friends. For once, you didn't feel so weighed down by the outcome of the trial, and so you looked forward to the day to come. You couldn't have imagined how much Gundham would be scolding you if you had any other mindset.

The thought of the Ultimate Breeder made you smile once again, shifting your thoughts to Nekomaru. Oh, how much he would be teaching you that you should be spending your life living and shitting rather than being in a sulking state.

Although your spirits were still light, you toned down your smile to prevent yourself looking like a psychopath when you entered the restaurant on the top floor.

Everyone was already in there, a thick air was surrounding them all. It seemed that with the time they were given to mull the situation over, they had all become increasingly depressed from how they were last night.

"Good morning," you greeted softly, making your presence known. It was clear that an upbeat morning was not called for as of right now.

Everybody's heads lifted weakly, eyes meeting your considerate expression with a murmur of acknowledgement.

"Good morning, [F/N]," Chiaki said smoothly, a fond smile spreading across her lips.

You gave her a subtle nod, returning the gesture as silence wavered its way around the room. As you scanned the faces of those with you, you noticed something peculiar – or perhaps not so peculiar.

Nagito wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Your eyebrows furrowed in worry, wondering what could have happened, but then you recalled the way he had been behaving recently. He was definitely different, but... did he despise you all so much that he felt the urge to avoid you all? Did he really want to stay away from you that badly?

"You know..." Fuyuhiko began, staring at his plate of half-eaten food. "Every time we meet up here, it makes me realise just how insane this entire thing is..."

"The restaurant... certainly feels far emptier than it did previously," Sonia agreed faintly, placing down a glass of fresh orange juice.

Hajime rubbed his neck sheepishly. "Well, it's no surprise that it feels more spacious... There are less than half of us here than there were at the beginning of this all."