Chapter 34 - Investigation

A/N: Thank you so much to  crazypsychopath15 for the wonderful fanart! I am SQUEALING at how cute this is. The distance is so intimate, and their expressions speak volumes! I love the freckles on the reader's cheeks and how she looks as though she's trying to comprehend what's happened! I love Gundham's stressed face, it really ties in so well with the story, and I'm so glad that you drew this! (Perhaps I should have added it in a few chapters later to fit the story, haha...) Thank you!! <3

Your mind remained hazy, vision blurring as you focused on the remains of the one you had become so fond of after recent interactions. The startled voices of those around you fell deaf upon your ears, which could only make out the sound of your pounding heartbeat and pulsating blood.

Staggering towards the scraps of metal, you fell to your knees in both weakness and horror.

Four notes.

"A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!"

Faint gasps.

Regret.

Your fragile fingers trailed their way to the head of the boisterous boy, the tips of which became coated in the oil he once possessed. You hung your head low, supporting yourself defeatedly with your other arm.

"N-Nekomaru?" Sonia stammered, wide-eyed as she entered after the announcement. "No, this... this cannot be... It is a lie, right?"

"Based on our situation and the body discovery announcement..." Chiaki deduced quietly. "It's unfortunate, but... another murder has undoubtedly occurred."

"Why...?" Hajime let out, the only word he could seemingly form.

You gritted your teeth, clenching your fist in the oil. For a second time, he had died; the exact thing you wanted to prevent. Your heart wrenched as you recalled the first time, and how he so easily threw his life away to protect yours. His drive for the safety of others was impeccable, and the barrier of death would never stop you from admiring his spirit.

You never realised how much you would miss his frequent yelling, scolding you all to pull yourselves back together. You would miss his concern for you when all you did was gulp down tea, and just how much he valued spending time with you all.

Someone just had to take the remainder of that precious soul away.

"Hey, what happened?!" a frantic voice shouted from the doorway.

"A-Akane...!" Hajime spluttered, clearly worrying about how she'd react to this situation.

"Move..." she muttered, peering her head over his shoulder. "Move it!"

Lifting your head, your glossy eyes traced Akane's crestfallen, storm grey ones, which weren't actually directed at you. They were concentrated on the figure you were knelt before, her lip clearly quivering.

She pushed past Hajime forcefully, sprinting straight towards Nekomaru. As you were in the way, she cast you aside, knocking you on your back in her fit of sorrow.

As soon as your back made contact with the ground, the air in your lungs was knocked back out, causing you to expel a cough, and therefore your last drop of oxygen. You heaved a large volume of air back in, propping yourself up on your elbows as you crawled away from Akane.

"[F/N], are you alright?!" Hajime panicked, rushing towards you to help you up.

You gratefully took his hand, regaining your breath. "I'm fine... How about Akane...?"