Chapter 36 - Class Trial [Part 2]

A/N: Thank you so much to Ethrealtrashz (Quotev) for the fanart of this chapter! I absolutely love the sketchiness of the drawing, and it really comes across that she's got a bad case of the Despair Disease! The fever she has really comes across with the sweat drops, and her expression and irk mark really deliver the idea of the image! Thank you!!

A hushed silence blanketed the room, strained expressions plastered across the features of those attempting to comprehend it all.

"I have to admit..." Chiaki began, clutching her shirt. "I never expected the Ultimate weapon to be the Funhouse itself... But anyway, now that we've figured that out, let's press on ahead. We still have a killer to find, right?"

"Is it really okay to just accept that the building is the weapon, though?" Kazuichi asked apprehensively.

"I wouldn't lie at such an important moment, no way," Nagito denied firmly. "I don't want to die either."

"What the hell happened to the bastard who insisted that they didn't mind dying?" Fuyuhiko grumbled.

"You're right. There was a time where I thought I could become a stepping stone for you Symbols of Hope, but..." Nagito's face hardened. "I sincerely retract that remark."

"Retract...? The hell...?" Akane muttered.

Nagito sighed, folding his arms. "Don't get me wrong. I'm disappointed too, you know! If this was a murder for the sake of hope, then I'd happily sacrifice myself."

"Kehehe..." A low chuckle resonated from your right, beside Akane, ever so slowly increasing in volume. "Yet again, you continue to spew such falsehoods... There is no such thing as murder for the sake of hope. Murder is simply murder."

Gundham had begun a passionate speech, one of which was wholly relevant and worth listening to. "Forcibly sacrificing others for one's own desires...! Even one as diabolical as I would avoid such actions!"

"I see," was all Nagito said, with a small, inconspicuous smile upon his pale lips.

Akane clicked her tongue, turning her head to the side. "It's fine... Let's just leave him alone and find out who the hell killed Coach Nekomaru as soon as we can!" A trail of saliva could be seen escaping the corner of her lip, almost immediately being licked back up by the girl. "J-Just so you know, it's not like I'm getting' hungry or anythin', y'know..."

"Moving on, now that we know that the killer used the building's structure, should we talk about how they used it?" you suggested, turning the topic away from food, which you could all have done with at that moment in time.

"How?" Hajime echoed distantly.

"To clarify the cause of death," Chiaki confirmed, fiddling with the fabric of her bag once more.

"To utilise the building's structure, huh...?" Hajime muttered, pressing a weak finger to his chin. "If he was beaten with a blunt object, as shown by the indentations on his body, then it wouldn't have been a murder which used the structure itself. So... if that's the case, then... Nekomaru must have fallen."

"Nekomaru died from falling...?" Gundham repeated, sceptical of Hajime's answer.

"If we think about the Funhouse's secret, which is the fact that both towers and houses are connected vertically, then the killer must have made use of its height and murdered Nekomaru by causing him to die from falling, right?" Fuyuhiko caught on, eyes glinting at the development.

"Are you sayin' they pushed him off?" Akane frowned, brain scrambled. "Where'd they push him off from, then?"

Hajime looked like a deer caught in headlights at the question, sweating profusely at the sudden question that he couldn't answer. "Th-That... I don't know..."