Chapter 27 - Investigation

A/N: Thank you so much to MissHappyGirl (Quotev) for the fanart for this chapter! I really love your style of drawing, and I find your version of the Ultimate Assassin's clothing amazing! It makes her look a lot more feminine, and I really like the layers you put into her hair. Thank you so much for spending your time and effort on drawing this!

You hung your head in sorrow as you scanned your fallen friends. You tightened your grip on the Monokuma File that was placed in your hands just minutes ago.

"Hey, I've been putting up with this for a while now, but..." Kazuichi started, frowning. "Why is it so bloody hot in here?! I hate being hot!"

"Your clothes probably don't help, in all honesty," Hajime pointed out, gesturing to Kazuichi's jumpsuit and beanie.

"Gahhhhhhh, whatever, I seriously can't stand it! I'll let you guys investigate this place...!" Kazuichi grumbled, trudging out of the music venue with buckets of sweat pouring out of his skin.

You didn't really notice exactly how hot it was until Kazuichi pointed it out, and you had to admit, it was abnormally hot. You pushed it aside for a bit, and chose to look at the Monokuma File before doing anything else.

There are two victims this time: Ibuki Mioda and Hiyoko Saionji.

Ibuki Mioda's cause of death was a crushed windpipe as a result of choking. There are no other external injuries.

Hiyoko Saionji's cause of death was blood loss due to her throat being slit by a sharp-edged tool. It appears her death was instant.

You continued to scroll down, furrowing your brows when you realised there was nothing else to read.

"Is that all?" you asked, bewildered. "We could tell that from the beginning."

"It's really strange... Why did the killer choose to kill two? I mean, the more people you kill, the more clues you leave behind, right...?" Chiaki mused, hiding inside her hood.

"So it wasn't very necessary to kill two and take that risk," you concluded. "But maybe they had to kill two people?"

Chiaki remained silent for a moment. "Yeah, that seems more likely. Either way, this shouldn't be forgiven, so... I'll definitely find out the truth behind this case. I think."

Hajime and Nagito followed you over to the broken monitor and camera that was scattered just in front of the stage. You assumed that they were going to be the ones to keep an eye on you for the next hour, so you didn't question them.

"Is that the surveillance camera Kazuichi and I fixed...?" you questioned. Nagito and Hajime just looked at each other confusedly.

"You helped fix those? I thought you were infected with the Despair Disease, though?" Hajime asked.

"I was, I helped fix one of them a few days ago. Kazuichi was teaching me some mechanics and we managed to get two of those monitors working."

"Oh, right," Hajime laughed sheepishly, embarrassed that he didn't think of that first. "Well, while you were sick, we used these as a communication device between the music venue and the hospital. I'm not sure if you heard about the fact that we split up..."

"Fuyuhiko told me about that," you informed, recalling your first night of falling ill.

"Yeah, the connection could only stretch from the hospital to the music venue, so we had transmissions thirty minutes after every morning and night announcement," Hajime explained.

"What I cannot fathom is why it has been destroyed like this," interrupted Gundham quizzically.

The princess hummed beside you. "Perhaps criminal psychology is in play, here? Even if they know they are not being recorded, the killer would not tolerate committing murder before a camera."