Chapter 9 - Class Trial [Part 2]

You closed your eyes and breathed in and out, slowly. You managed to calm yourself slightly, your brain eventually warming back up. There's a reason why it couldn't have been you, and why it could have been Nagito, after all. You glanced towards Chiaki, who looked like she knew something, and was waiting for you to say it. The reason why it must have been Nagito was...

"No. There are specific reasons which make Nagito the more likely culprit than me. Nagito, you were cleaning the dining hall all day, meaning you had the opportunity to place the knife under the table and set up the equipment for the power surge. I, on the other hand, spent the day with Mahiru and Gundham. For one hour, I also sat next to the pool, where anyone could have seen me."

You scowled internally at the fact that Nagito had pretended that he was in shock after you were accused, knowing full well that you had nothing to do with the murder. Fuyuhiko's voice brought your attention back to the trial.

"I did see her sitting there for a while..." Fuyuhiko mumbled. Your head tilted in his direction as he looked away, hiding his face. "That was just by chance...!"

"I-It's just a coincidence, honestly!" Nagito insisted. You shook your head.

"You were the one who called me over to you just before the blackout, and you were next to the back table yourself. You even prepared the drawing to pick who cleaned the building. It's all just too much to just be a coincidence, isn't it?" You asserted.

"Now that I think about it... she's right...! You called her name before the blackout to talk to her, and you totally rigged the drawing, didn't you?!" Mahiru accused.

"I don't know if you're the killer or not, but regardless, you're a bit too suspicious, aren't you?" Chiaki asked rhetorically. She seemed to be more awake now that the trial was actually going somewhere.

"Gh...gh-gh...!" Nagito could only make inaudible, stuttering sounds as everyone accused him further.

"You got us to lower our guard to try and hide the fact that you killed him, didn't you, motherfucker?!" Fuyuhiko exclaimed in rage.

"So?! Just admit it already!" Mahiru ordered the sweating boy.

"Nagito... please tell me you object to this... Frankly, I don't want to believe it either. We investigated together, and you were just... so kind. I can't believe that you were the one who killed Byakuya." Hajime said. The whole time you had been on this island, you had never seen Hajime as regretful as this. He clearly meant what he said, and really didn't want to believe it.

"Ngh... Nghhhhhhhh...!" Nagito continued to worry and make inaudible sounds.

"Nagito, just say something!" Hajime shouted, looking as though he was on the verge of tears.

"Ngh...!" Just then, Nagito begun to do something that you had never expected him to do. It was a complete change from the way he was previously acting.

"Haha... Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!" Nagito had begun laughing uncontrollably, causing several students to shuffle backwards slightly, in order to get as far away as allowed. Your eyes widened at his crazed state, not being able to figure out what was happening to him. It was as though he had just thrown all sanity out of the currently non-existent window.

"The Ultimates are working together to counter the despair of their dear friend's death! Ah, how wonderful... how absolutely beautiful it is!" His eyes showed that he'd gone absolutely insane.

"N-Nagito?" You asked hesitantly, only to be ignored.

His eyes were swirling with darkness. You couldn't read them. He was absolutely psychotic.