Chapter 12

You woke up after your peaceful slumber, the time indicating 6:45AM. This was enough time for you to get ready before the Monokuma announcement went off, so you went to have a shower and did your usual morning routine.

Monokuma's cheery, automated voice played throughout the island, indicating that it was time for you to go to the restaurant.

You took your sweet time, savouring the peaceful atmosphere before the overpowering, gloomy one. Several people silently walked past you as you were looking up at the clear, azure sky. Deciding you had put off enough time, you faced reality and made your way up the steps to the restaurant.

Everyone was already there, an uncomfortable silence suffocating them all. As soon as you stepped in, most looked up and mumbled 'Good Morning's.

"Good morning, everyone." You said with a gentle smile. It wasn't so broad that it made you seem like you were happy about what happened, but it wasn't small enough to imply that you were overcome with sorrow. It was a genuine smile of reassurance.

Hiyoko's voice was the one to disperse the toxic silence.

"Huuuh? You guys don't look so great. Your faces make it look like you all just attended two funerals in a row."

'Ah, typical Hiyoko. A great way to start off the conversation, reminding them of everything that happened. Nice.'

"That's, like, what happened! Byakuya and Teruteru... they got killed...!" Mikan stammered with tears brimming her eyes.

'Looks like someone didn't understand her sarcasm.'

"I'm not talking to you, you ugly bitch!" Hiyoko sneered.

"Wahhhhhh! W-Why are you always so mean to me?!"

"Anyway, I understand about Mr. Ham Hands, but is there any reason to be sad about Teruteru's death?" Hiyoko pouted.

"Wh-What the heck do you mean?!" Kazuichi quivered.

"I think she doesn't understand why we're mourning Teruteru because he was the one who killed Byakuya." You said softly, causing Kazuichi's confused state to soften.

"Yeah! It's just as Big Sis [F/N] said, he was a crazy guy who killed someone! He deserved to die!"

"I understand where you're coming from, but you're going too far." Peko muttered seriously.

"Huuuh? Is it all right to defend a killer? Are you justifying murder?"

"No, that wasn't my intention, but-"

"Then you've gotta hate him more than ever! You've gotta despise him from the bottom of your heart. He's a stupid, piece of trash, bastard who committed the lowest crime possible. He deserved to get killed!"

"Hiyoko, stop..." You mumbled. You were a killer, too, and Hiyoko seemed to have forgotten that.

"In fact, I'm rather relieved he was executed! If I could have, I totally would have spat on him!" She continued, ignoring your comment.
"Hiyoko, that's enough!" You snapped. Your eyes widened at your sudden behaviour, but you soon covered it up.

"At least try to respect their feelings. Teruteru was one of us too, don't forget. Up until last night, he was just another student on this island, like the rest of us. One of our friends. You can't blame them for being upset over his sudden... death. So try to ease the insults for now, okay?" You murmured to her, placing a gentle hand on her petite shoulder. You didn't want her to know the real reason for your outburst.

She only looked back to you blankly, still oblivious to what she had said, but nodded and kept her mouth shut.

"...Hm?" Akane suddenly piped up.