Chapter 22 - Execution

"W-Wait!"

Every head turned to Sonia in wonder and puzzlement.

"Sonia?" you asked, raising an eyebrow. She was pale and sweating profusely, with an expression of pure worry and anxiousness.

"Pardon me! Please... Could we have a little more time?!" she requested loudly, the nervousness from her face never leaving. "Please... could we continue our discussion?!"

"Continue the discussion... but... Miss Sonia, isn't the voting over?" Kazuichi said hesitantly, clearly unnerved by the princess' concern.

"Y-Yes, it is, but... I cannot help but feel as though something is... off. Something about this is definitely strange," she clarified, biting her lip.

"Strange? What do you mean? Peko is undoubtedly the killer!" Nekomaru reasoned.

"That is... That is true, however..." Sonia continued to nibble tensely on her lower lip.

"As an enthusiast who has a passion for serial killers, you're wondering about whether or not Peko is actually Sparkling Justice, right?" Nagito asked, confirming his suspicions.

"Huh?!" Hiyoko yelped.

"Honestly, it felt strange to me, too! I mean... There's a distinct difference between what we know about Sparkling Justice and Peko, isn't there?" he said, a smile on his face.

"Now that you mention it... When Sonia quoted Sparkling Justice's catchphrase in the beach house, didn't she tell us afterwards that she tried translating it from their native language?" you input, looking to Sonia for clarification. Indeed, she nodded.

"I-If that was the case, then it was in a different language?" Mikan quivered.

"Yes, the magazine I read was written in Spanish! And as Sparkling Justice's catchphrase was written in its native language, Sparkling Justice is undoubtedly Spanish as well!" Sonia declared.

"Are you kidding me?!" Hiyoko screamed, clutching her face.

"That means Peko is not Sparkling Justice," you concluded. "Unless she can speak Spanish fluently, or at least the catchphrase, then it's impossible."

"Peko, if you insist that you're Sparkling Justice, can you try saying that catchphrase in Spanish?" Chiaki asked, tilting her head.

"Peko, would you be able to do it?" Hajime tested her, fully aware of what the answer would be.

"Hm..." Peko muttered from beneath the card. "It appears... that the time has come for this mask to be removed. That's perfectly fine, though. It is no longer necessary. It's too late for you to do anything about it, anyway."

Peko slowly pulled the mask away from her face, a calm and sorrowful expression revealed from behind it.

"My duty has already been finished... My duty as a tool, has already been completed fully. The mask has fulfilled its purpose, just as I have..."

"Wh-What do you mean? What do you mean by 'fulfilled its purpose', 'too late'... What the hell are you talking about?" Hajime queried, a slightly fearful appearance taking place on his features.

"You have already cast your votes, is what it means," Peko told you.

"H-Hey! You need to specify what you mean! We're asking you what your purpose was!" Nekomaru yelled, on edge.

"I have no purpose... I am merely... a tool."

"T-Tool?" Mikan echoed.

"Calling herself a tool... that means that someone used her, then?" Nagito hummed.