★ Chapter Fourteen ★

• Alexis' POV •

"Wake up sleepy head!!" My mom sang into my bedroom. I pulled a pillow over my head to block out her voice and the light streaming in my windows. I waited until she left to remove the pillow. I glanced at the clock, 8:13. Why did church have to be so early? I groaned and got up. I trudged into the bathroom to take a shower and I turned on the mildly scalding water. And dropped my clothes. I stood under the warm water and let it run through my hair and down my back. I washed off all the makeup under my eyes and I already felt cleaner.  I washed off my body and shampooed my hair.

When I got out of the shower, I grabbed a towel and walked into my room. I got some jeans and a nice shirt out of my drawers. I changed quickly and pulled my hair back into a braid. I looked decent enough for church. I ran to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. When I walked out my mom was standing there.

"You look beautiful." She said grinning proudly. She started to tear up. I hugged her and she really crying.

"I'm sorry. It's just- I saw you when you were this big." She said showing a small space between her hands. Now I was letting out a few tears. Seeing my mom cry always made me cry. I don't know what it was but I hated seeing her cry. My mom was always the one to comfort me and I guess I hated seeing her sad. Being a mom must be tough. You have a kid and you've seen them since the moment they were born and you've protected them from everything their entire life but then they grow up.

"Let's go before we're late.." My mom said wiping the tears from her eyes and I had to wipe the ones away from my own. She grabbed her keys and we walked out to her car together.

"Your dad called this morning.  He's coming home from Chicago next Saturday!!" My mom said excitedly. I knew it must be tough on her too when dad isn't home. It's rough on me too. My parents jobs require them to go on buisness trips a lot so they're always traveling. I loved it when we were all home but it was rare.  Dad would come home and Mom would leave. Sometimes they'd both leave and I'd be alone for the weekend. But they have to do it I guess..

We pulled into the church parking lot and walked in together. We sat in the back row and mass started. I missed Sundays when we could go as a family to church but today was almost just as good. I could just spend the day with my mom.

|| Sorry this chapter is so short. I had to rewrite it because my phone deleted it): Oh well. I should update again later!