Back When-18

"Brett?" I frowned. "What are you doing here?"

He ran his hand down his face and when he spoke his voice sounded exhausted. "While I was driving here, I saw Grant driving away. He's still you're tutor?"

I sucked in a breath, annoyed that he ignored my question. "Yes." I said, sharply. "Answer my question."

He lifted a hand towards my doorway. "Can I come in first?"

I looked at him for a while and then sighed, opening the door wider to let him in.

I closed the door after he came in and he sat down on my couch. I sat down also but at a good distance.

I motioned for him to go ahead talk.

"My grandma died."

My face fell. "What?"

When I really looked at him I could see the heartbroken look in his eyes and his eyes were starting to get glossy. "My family got a call a few hours ago. My parents are sad about it but they saw it coming because she is old but I still had a little hope left, you know? I thought she would have a few more years left but I guess not." He let out a humorless laugh. "When we left to come back here she told me she felt fine. She said she would make it. She said..." he trailed off, clenching his fist in his hair.

I moved closer to him, putting my hand on his back, which made him look up at me with damp eyes.

"Brett...I'm so sorry. You know, that your grandma loved you and she knew that you loved her. I guess, that's why she said that because she didn't want you to see her die."

He sighed. "I guess you're right."

After everything that has happened between us, I still don't like seeing him upset. Seeing him like this is making me upset and I know it sounds crazy but I wish I could do more to help.

He looks at me with sad eyes. "It's fine if you say no but...can I have a hug?"

I nod because there's no harm to a hug.

He reaches over and hugs me and I hug him back. He buries his face in my neck and holds me tight.

"I know," he starts to mumble in my neck, "that you won't date me again because I screwed up. Majorly. But I just want you to know that you are the best thing to ever happen to me and I'm lucky to say that you were mine. You always made me feel better about everything, like now. So, thank you for that."

He pulls away looking into my eyes and I just smile and say, "You're welcome, Brett."

-

On school the next day, Grant wasn't there. I was confused because he seemed fine the day before. I really wanted to talk to him today about what happened yesterday.

I was about to walk out of the class I had with Grant but I was called back by the teacher.

"Yes?" I replied.

She gives me a nod. "Yes, so since Grant is you're tutor, do you, perhaps know where he lives?"

I nod. "Yes, I do."

She clasps her hands together. "Great, because he told me that anytime he missed a day to always just find a way to bring the work to his house because he doesn't want to be behind. So," she pulled out the work we did today, which was a worksheet with fifteen problems, "do you mind bringing them to him?"

I shook my head, grabbing the paper. "Oh, not at all. I'll give them to him."

"Great, thank you, Julianne."