Help-23

I was walking down the hall to my next class when my cheer coach stopped me in the halls.

"Yes?" I questioned when she pulled me aside.

She stands with her hands on her hips. "I've been keeping up with your grade in math and you've been doing a lot better so, you don't have to worry about getting kicked off the team anymore and I don't have to worry either."

I smile, gratefully. "Thank you so much."

She gives me a wink. "No problem, just keep it up."

I nod. "I will."

She pats me on my shoulder and walks away. I beam in excitement because I no longer had to be cautious about my grade. I mean, yeah, I still have to worry about it but not as much as I was.

I guess I'm grateful that I suck at math because if I didn't, I wouldn't have met Grant and I always feel like being with him now.

A couple hours later, it was lunch time. I took this as the perfect opportunity to ask Amelia about what I saw yesterday.

Amelia was scrolling through her phone at the lunch table already when I walked and said, "Hey, Amelia, can I talk to you for a sec?"

She shyly looks at me. "Yeah, sure."

I motion to outside of the cafeteria. "Let's go out here."

She follows me and I stop walking once we're in a more secluded area. I give her a knowing smile. "Why didn't you tell us you had a boyfriend?"

Her eyes widen and she begins to blush. "A b-boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend."

I raise my eyebrows. "Amelia, I saw you and Justin kiss yesterday."

She sighs in defeat, fiddling with her fingers. "Okay, yes, Justin and I are dating but I wanted to keep it lowkey because I don't want everyone's attention on me considering I'm dating one of the popular guys."

I smile. "Because you're shy?"

She nods. "Exactly and he knows that so he's respecting my decision to keep us a secret."

I nod in understanding. "How long have you guys been a thing?"

"Like, a month."

I smile. "Well, I'm happy for you considering it didn't work with Kane."

She chuckles. "Yeah, he reminds me too much of my older brother, it was wierd." She pauses. "And plus, I've noticed him with Robin, he's definitely not thinking of me anymore."

I chuckle, agreeing. I give her a smile, really noticing how much of a cool person she is because this is the most we've ever spoken. "So, I know you said the thing about keeping your relationship a secret but if you want to bring Justin to Grant's surprise party, you can. You're a great girl, Amelia and if anyone says otherwise they're obviously jealous of you."

She laughs and then smiles at me. "I'll think about it."

I nod and we both walk back into the cafeteria together.

-

It was night time and I couldn't stop thinking about Grant's dad. How he used him to get money for drugs. I felt bad for Grant because I know he thought his dad was really coming back into his life to maybe be a real dad.

There's a knock on my door. "Come in." I say, loudly.

My mom opens the door. She gives me a smile. "Hey, sweetie, dinner's ready."

I give a slight nod. "Okay, I'll be down in a minute."

Her eyebrows scrunch and she makes her way over to me, sitting down on my bed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." I lie.

She gives me a look of disbelief. "Honey, I'm a lawyer so, I'm basically a human lie detector so, what's wrong?"

I sigh, sitting up. "It's not about me. It's about Grant, well Grant's dad."

"What about him?"

I give her a serious look. "This is something serious, mom. I don't want Grant's dad getting in trouble because you're a lawyer and you could send him away."

She shakes her head, trying to keep up with me. "Wait, why would I send him away?"

"Grant's dad is...on drugs." I finally say.

She gives me a look of shock. "What? How is Grant feeling about this?"

I shake my head. "Not good. I want to help him but I don't know how. I can tell Grant wants his dad to be in his life and be a better dad to him but he can't do that if he's on drugs."

My mom pulls me into her shoulder. "Oh, sweetie, you're very kind for wanting to help him."

"I care about Grant a lot." I say, leaning my head onto her shoulder.

We sit in silence while she rubs my arm, comfortingly.

If there was something I could do to convince Grant's dad to actually be in his sons life, I would immediately do it.

Suddenly, my mom gasps. I lift my head from her shoulder and give her a curious look. "What?"

She gives me a big smile. "I have an idea."

My eyebrows raise. "To help Grant?"

She nods. "To help Grant's dad but if I'm gonna to do this I have to talk with your father first."

A desperate look appears on my face. "Alright, tell me."

A/N:

okay, yeah, this chapter is really short but I felt like it was good to end it there ;)

what do you think she's gonna do?