The Call-30

TRIGGER WARNING:

If you're sensitive to drug use then maybe skip this chapter.

It's about to get serious so, heads up reading ahead.
___

The next day we all meet with my parents to figure out which rehab he'll be going to and for how long. It's a lengthy and emotional talk but it's well deserved.

While Grant spends time with his family the following week, Kane and I come up with the idea of our dance. We're at the dance studio, sitting on the floor and brainstorming ideas.

"Okay, so," I start, "should the dance tell a story or be abstract?"

Kane leans back on his hands. "Tell a story, definitely."

So, for the next twenty minutes we just brainstormed ideas between each other of what sounded good or bad.

Once we gathered up something that we both thought was great, we started planning the dance moves.

"This dance is obviously gonna have to be a mix between ballet and hip-hop because we both dance different styles." I clarify.

He nods. "Yeah, of course which, will be even better for our chances at winning so," he claps his hands together. "let's go."

And that's when we spend three hours just making up choreography together. Robin even stopped by and brought us snacks. What a great friend.

After we went our separate ways, I desperately needed to get in the shower. I was sweaty and sticky and it was very uncomfortable. We were really working hard to win this.

-

A week passes and it's the first time I'm properly seeing Grant. Which, of course, I understood. He needed all the time to spend with his dad before he went off for two months.

"He seems a little off but," Grant explains, talking about his dad. "I'm guessing it's because he has to go to rehab and maybe he's nervous."

We were at his house, on his bed and he was helping me with some of my homework while he did his too.

I nod, agreeing. "Yeah, rehab is going to be brutal."

He checks the time on his phone. "I'm going to his hotel at four, wanna come?"

"Yeah, sure, what do you guys have planned?"

"Just going to get something to eat. Emily's coming too."

"Okay, cool."

The door suddenly opens and in walks Emily.

"Thank you for knocking." Grant says with sarcasm.

She rolls her eyes, putting one hand on her hip. "Shut up. I'm not gonna be able to go with you and dad out to eat later."

"Why not?"

Her eyes shift to the side. "Why does it matter?"

"Emily." he groans.

She sighs. "Fine. I--uh--well, there's this guy--"

His eyes squint at her. "You're ditching your family for a guy?"

She stomps her foot in frustration. "Grant, shut up. This is important, okay? This is gonna be my first time hanging with him. There's gonna be other people but still, it's important. You understand Jules, right?"

I nod. "I mean, yeah, you're young and you wanna hang with a guy you like and you still have another week before he leaves for rehab so, I think you're good."

She smiles in satisfaction. "Exactly," she crosses her arms, giving Grant a playful glare. "I like your girlfriend more than you."

He rolls his eyes at her. "Whatever, okay, fine."

I guess he thought she was gonna leave after that but when she didn't he asked, "Do you need something else?"

She gives a sweet smile. "Actually, yeah."

After an hour passes, we're all in Grant's car to drop Emily off at the mall. Once we arrive, she excitedly says, "Thanks, Grant! Bye Jules." And then she hops out of the car.

I chuckle. "Hopefully, this boy isn't like the last."

"He better pray he's not."

I smile at Grant's protective nature over his sister. He puts the car into reverse and we start to head to his dad's motel. Five minutes later, we arrive.

We walk up a flight of stairs to meet Grant's dad who is on the third floor. When we make it to his door, we both look at each other in confusion when we see the door is cracked open a little.

Grant pushes the door open, stepping in. "Dad?"

I follow him, closing the door behind me. I hear that the faucet running in the bathroom so, I point it out. "I think he's in the bathroom."

Grant walks over to the bathroom door, knocking on it while I sit on the edge of the bed. "Dad, we're here."

No response.

Grant looks at me in confusion, showing a bit of worry also. "Should I walk in?"

I nod because it was a little strange that he wasn't answering. Even the way up here, his dad wasn't answering his calls or texts.

He pushes the door open and that's when his world turned upside down. I hear him gasp and then he's frantically pushing the door open, "Dad! Oh my gosh, dad!"

I shoot up from my spot and make my way over, suddenly alert of the situation. "What's wro--oh my gosh!" When I see what's in front of me, all the blood drains from my face.

Grant's dad was passed out on the floor with puke coming from his mouth, his skin as pale as the white walls.

"Call 911!" Grant says in a panic, bending down to touch his dad.

My hands are shaking and my eyes are pooled with tears as I take my phone out of my pocket to dial an ambulance. This can't be real.

As I'm talking on the phone with the operator, I hear Grant turn off the running faucet and then I hear his sobs.

Everything else that happened after that was a blur. Next thing I know, we were at the hospital, waiting in the waiting room. Grant's mom shows up teary eyed and so does Emily but she looks confused. Grant tells her what happened and her mouth opens in shock and tears immediately spill from her eyes. He pulls her into a hug and she cries into his shoulder.

Twenty minutes pass and the doctor comes out to tell us what happened. He has a look of sympathy on his face and my stomach drops, knowing the news that's gonna come from his mouth.

"I'm sorry, we did the best we could but he didn't make it."

A/N:

I'm so sorry this took longer to upload than I intended but here it is and it's sad and probably not what you were expecting but this is what I had planned.

Tell me what you think about it