Selfish-31

___

The funeral was here.

It was two weeks ago when Grant and I found his dad in the bathroom. And what a terrible two weeks it has been. The doctors concluded that it was an accidental overdose.

My parents were devastated with the news and ended up getting there money back from the rehab that he was supposed to go to.

One night I stayed up til three in the morning with Grant, just comforting him and listening to why he thought he did it.

"I think he just wanted to get high one more time before he had to go to rehab." he had concluded while sniffing.

I rubbed his head that was in my lap, I just listened to what he said and it made sense. But, of course, I didn't say anything.

"I guess he forgot that we were supposed to hang out." he whispered.

That was what he was like the first week and then the second week was worse. He was angry. A different side of Grant I've never seen before.

"Fuck him, he didn't care about me like he said." he spat.

I had taken him to the boulder he showed me a month ago, his favorite spot, thinking it would help him get his mind off of the situation for a little bit. It didn't.

I tried to speak up. "I don't--"

"Don't. Just don't try to lie to me right now."

I felt a little hurt at his hostile attitude but I couldn't blame him. "I'm just trying to help." I had whispered.

He sighed, a look of guilt passed through his eyes. "I'm sorry, I know. Come here." he held his arms opens.

I scooted closer, his arms wrapped themselves around me while I leaned my head on his shoulder.

I wished there was more I could do to help him.

Now, we're at his funeral and there are very few people here. Grant told me he wasn't surprised at the amount of people who showed up in their family because he wasn't a good man. But we all thought he was trying to be but he fooled us.

All of Grant's friends were here to show him some support and even my parents. I still can't believe this has happened. All I wanted was for Grant to his have his dad back and yes, I'm upset at the fact that he made us believe that he truly wanted to get better. But that obviously wasn't the case or he wouldn't be in a casket right now.

There wasn't any tears coming from anyone. Grant did all his crying the first week. Same for his mom and sister.

"Would anyone want to say a few words about the deceased?" the funeral director asks.

It's quiet for a minute before, surprisingly, Grant raises his hand. The funeral director smiles at him, waving him over to the podium to say his words.

Grant stands up and slowly walks up to the podium, he stops and stares at his father's casket before he takes his spot at the mic.

He clears his throat. "Hi, you all know that I'm his son." He looks down at the podium, fidgeting with his fingers before he looks up, a neutral look on his face. "I just wanted to say that he was selfish. He obviously cared about no one but himself. I hated him for a long time because he left our family but now, I hate him because he's a selfish piece of shit." He then adverts his eyes to the casket. "So, thanks for nothing, dad." he spat.

My mouth hung open in shock as he walked back to his seat next to me. He avoided eye contact with me and everybody as he just looked straight forward. My heart broke for him.

The funeral director makes his way back to the podium. "Uh, would anyone else like to say anything?"

No one else did.

_______

It was night time and Grant and I were sitting in my car outside of his house.

"Grant, can you please talk to me?"

He sighs. "About what?"

"About what you said at the funeral. Why did you have to say that?"

"Because it's the truth." he said, sternly. "I needed to get it off my chest."

"Well, do you feel better?"

"A little." he mumbles.

"Look, I know that you--"

He interrupts me. "It's not about me, Julianne. I'm used to him letting me down so, why should I be surprised this time?"

"Then who?" I ask confused.

"It's about Emily. She was a baby when he left so, she didn't really know him. She's not used to this and the bastard put her through the same thing now but only worse, cause he's dead. So, I hate him for doing that to her. Yeah, I wanted my dad back but she just wanted a dad."

And again, my heart breaks but this time for Emily. "I didn't even...." my words trail off cause I didn't know what else to say.

He rubs his hand over his face. "I gotta go in for dinner now."

I nod. "Yeah, okay." I say softly, staring out the windshield.

We just sit in silence for a while before he starts to reach for the door handle and also putting his hand on my shoulder. "Julianne..."

I look at him when he says my name.

A ghost of a smile on his face. "I'm okay and I love you, okay?"

A closed mouth smile comes onto my face and I nod. "I love you too."

A/N:

Yeah, this chapter is a bit intense, what did you think about it?

And sorry that it's so short but yeah..