Decide-25

It was the end of the week but it wasn't any normal end of the week. It was the first day of Grant and I as a couple. We walked the hallways hand in hand and when we were together people did stare but now that we were official, the stares were worse.

"I wish people would just mind their business." Grant mumbles, rubbing his thumb on the back on my hand.

I give his hand a squeeze, looking up at him. "Just ignore them, I do."

We arrive at my locker and I can feel how tense Grant is. I give him a reassuring smile. "If it bothers you that much, I'll scream at all of them right now." I joke.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "It's not that."

I tilt my head slightly. "Then what is it?"

He sighs, frowning. "I feel like I talk about this too much but it's my dad."

I shake my head. "No, you don't, you can talk about it as much as you like."

He gives me a small smile. "Well, my dad came to my house at like, ten at night apologizing and saying that he's been trying to get better and all this stuff and I just can't stop thinking about it."

Talking about his dad made me remember the offer my mom told me about. It was a really generous and good idea but I don't know how Grant would feel about it so, I hold off on telling him. "If he wants to be better than I think he can. You just gotta believe in people sometimes."

He smirks. "Okay, Gandhi."

I shove him gently, rolling my eyes. "Oh, shut up."

He grabs my hand that I shoved him with, pulling me closer, only to attack my sides by tickling me.

I let out a squeal, trying to pull away. "Stop!" I laugh.

"If it isn't the happy couple!"

I turn around to see Robin and Kane coming to us. When I see Kane's arm around Robin, I wink at her. "Back at you."

She gives me a big smile and Kane squeezes her shoulder. Robin motions between the two of us. "I'm glad you both stopped being ridiculous and finally got together."

I scoff. "What? I should be saying that to you." I hold my hands up. "But I won't get into that right now."

Robin gives me a playful warning look. "Yeah, you better not."

Kane's eyebrows raise. "Wait, I wanna hear."

Robin pats his cheek. "No, you don't."

"I actually d--"

Robin interrupts him, turning to me. "Anyways, you excited about tomorrow?"

I nod. "I am, it's my last high school competition."

"You have a competition tomorrow? Why didn't you tell me?" Grant asks.

I look up at him. "Hey, Grant, I have a competition tomorrow, wanna come?"

He rolls his eyes with a faint smile on his lips. "Yeah, why not?"

-

I was in my room, packing my cheer clothes for the competition tomorrow when I heard my mom calling my name from downstairs. I make my way down to see her in the kitchen, making what looked like pasta salad.

"Yeah, mom?" I ask.

She smiles. "Hey, dear, could you please do me a favor?"

I squint my eyes. "What is it?"

"Could you please run to the store for me and get some black olives? I forgot them for the pasta salad."

I nod. "Sure, I need a break from packing my one uniform for the competition tomorrow anyways."

She chuckles. "Thank you, honey. Love you."

I smile. "Love you too."

I grab the keys from the counter and go upstairs to put on some shoes and then make my way back downstairs, heading out the door.

I get inside my car and pull out of the driveway, making my way to the closest store. As I'm on my way, I pass a bar and see someone familiar walk in. My eyebrows scrunch. Why did I recognize him?

I have to stop myself from braking in the middle of the road when I realize it was Grant's dad. I was tempted to go talk to him and tell him about how much he's missed out on such a wonderful person but I keep driving to the store.

Fifteen minutes later, I walk out of the store with black olives and some sour patch kids. I get into my car and I sit there for a moment. I debate to myself if I should go to the bar that Grant's dad was at.

Screw it.

I drive to the bar that he's at and when I get there I get out of my car and make my way inside. I sigh in relief when I see him still here, sitting at the bar.

I slowly walk up to him and take a seat beside him. I look at him and notice he's very skinny and I can easily see some of the same features that Grant has like, his nose.

When he notices me staring at him, he turns his head, raising his eyebrows. "Do I know you?" he says in a harsh voice.

Slightly startled, I say, "No but I'm Grant's girlfriend."

A look of recognization comes across his face. "Ah, Grant told me about you."

A faint smile appears on my face. "He did?"

He nods. "Yeah, you really make him happy, you know that?" And then he takes a swig of the shot in front of him. "Something that I can't do."

I stay quiet in realization that he might actually want to get better for Grant.

"Anyways," he starts. "What can I do for you?"

I sigh, deciding to just let it all out. "I...I know what you're going through--"

I was cut off. "Look, I know that I'm a screw up and it was dumb of me to use Grant like that. I feel so bad that he found out that I really want to quit and become a better dad, it just snapped me back into reality. I want to be better than my father was to me but that's obviously not working. So, if you came to pity me, I really don't need it."

I frown, quickly shaking my head. "I came to help you."

He sits up straighter. "How could you help me?"

"My mom," I begin. "She's a lawyer and she deals with people like you all the time. She knows a few good rehabs and she offered to pay for it. Only if you're serious."

A look of shock comes over his face. "What?"

"She'll pay for you to go to rehab." I repeat.

He shakes his head. "I can't. I can't let you do that for me."

My eyebrows scrunch. "Are you not serious about getting better?"

"Yes, I am but--"

"Okay, then do it for Grant."

He sighs and stays quiet, looking down at his shot glass. I know it was a lot to take from someone he didn't even know but I wanted to do this for Grant because I know he wants his dad back. My mom was super generous for offering this. I'm surprised my dad even said yes. I think they both did it because they know how much I like Grant.

"Look," I start, making him look up at me. "I'm throwing Grant a surprise birthday party at his house and if you show up to it then I know you'll accept but if you don't then I'll know you don't. This'll give you time to think about it. It starts at 6."

I get up from my seat and leave him with that.

A/N:

Do you think he'll come? 🤔

Vote if you liked it!