Competition-26

I was ready.

Our performance was less than ten minutes away. I watched the team that was performing before us, our hardest competition. They beat us last year and we were devastated because we were sure we had it in the bag with our routine. But not this year.

I looked into the crowd, searching for the one person that could calm me down with one look. I saw Grant fumbling with snacks in his lap, sitting next to my parents, Robin, and Kane. I chuckled to myself at his dorkiness. My dork.

I turned back around to look at our competition to see their routine ending. Everyone in the crowd claps like crazy. Great.

"Give it up, one more time for Weston High!" the crowd goes crazy once more. "Okay, now, give it up for Redding High School!"

We barge on stage with so much energy. Some people flip and kick, showing the audience and the judges our potential. Everyone gets in their positions and the music starts.

After our two minute routine, we finish off strong and leave the stage. That gave me an hour break before I had to be back with my team. I walked towards the crowd and searched for Grant and my parents but to my surprise, I see Brett.

What is he doing here?

He turned his head and makes eye contact with me, at least I thought it was with me. When a big smile appears on his face and he waves in my direction, I look behind me to see him smiling and waving at...Sarah?

She smiles and waves back at him, not even realizing that I was looking at her. She rushes past me and goes up to him. They embrace and then he pulls away to give her a small kiss.

What the hell? They're together?

I stand there in confusion, not knowing what to feel or think. Should I be upset?

I watch them for a few minutes more (I know, creepy) before I decide to go up to them and ask them myself. I was genuinely curious.

When Sarah sees me approaching them, her smile fades. I guess Brett was confused by her facial change so he turned around too, to see me.

I give them a closed mouth smile. "Hey, guys, what's going on?"

Brett sighs. "Hey, Julianne, look, I'm just gonna be straight forward with you. Sarah and I are dating."

Oddly, when he said that, I felt nothing. I was relieved, if I'm being honest. I nod. "Yeah, I realized that."

Sarah frowns. "Are you not mad?"

I shake my head. "Not at all. I was just curious how this happened."

"Oh," Brett says in shock. "well, after what happened between us, me and Sarah bonded over us losing someone we both cared about even though it was both of our faults why we lost you. We had a few deep talks and now here we are. I really care about her."

I didn't know if I was prepared to hear him say that. Because yeah, we got along well and that's why we dated but I don't ever remember talking to him about anything deep before.

Very rigidly, I shook my head. "Oh, how nice."

Brett shakes his head, sighing. "You're mad."

My eyebrows scrunch. "No, I'm not, I'm just curious on why you care about deep stuff in this relationship but when it came to ours, all that mattered was sex."

"I've realized that was dumb of me and I should've took the time to appreciate you for you but now I've moved on and so did you, so why are you so upset about this?"