Chapter 10

Chapter 10

*Victoria*

            I wake to the sun streaming in and squint my eyes as they adjust to the light. I reach out beside me in search of Colton and my hand touches cold sheets. I open my eyes and sit up to realize I'm alone, Colton nowhere in sight. Did he already get up? I stretch as I get up, my bones cracking. I shower and get ready for the day before slipping on jeans and a sweater. I leave my room and a delicious smell wafts to my nose. Waffles?

            I make my way to the kitchen to find Valentina and Colton sitting together at the kitchen counter. They laugh over something and I smile. It's nice to see them getting along again.

            "Morning." I say, walking over to join them. "You had me a little worried when I woke up, I thought you never came to bed." I say to Colton.

            Without a word, Colton hops down from his barstool before closing the small distance between us. He wraps his arms around me as he meets his lips with mine. Surprised, I hesitate before returning the kiss. When he pulls away, he gives me a dazzling smile and a warm feeling fills me.

            "I love you so much." He says. "You're the best thing to happen to me."

            "I love you too." I reply. "But, what's with the warm welcome? It's only been twenty-four hours since you've seen me."

            "What you did for Val, helping her to open up, is one of the many reasons I'm in love with you." My face warms as I begin to blush. "Your kindness and patience is what makes you the world's greatest sweetheart. Val told me everything about yesterday, how she was so rude to you but you never lashed back. You were patient with her and because of that, my little sister is back to the way she used to be." He places a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Thank you." He releases me before leaning against the counter at his sister's side, giving his seat to me. A cook slide's a plate in front of me and I give her a soft thank you.

            "So are we still on for ice skating?" Valentina asks before taking a bite of her waffles.

            "Of course!" Colton responds as if her question is absurd. "I promised you didn't I? Do you want to come with us Vic?" Valentina looks at me expectantly and I remember my unofficial promise to let her have Colton for the rest of vacation. She's missed him so much; I guess it's the least I can do.

            "Actually, I think I'm going to hang back today." I say. "You two go out and have fun."

            "Are you sure?" Colton asks. "You know my mom doesn't work today." Of course. It's the weekend. She could be lurking around the corner as we speak.

            "I'll be fine." I shrug.

            "You're not sick, are you?" His brows furrow.

            "Colton, I'm fine." I give him a reassuring smile. "I promise."

            "We should go before it gets too crowded." Valentina says, pushing her plate away and hopping off the stool. She looks at me and mouths a thank you before leaving the kitchen.

            "If you change your mind, let me know." Colton says. He gives me a quick kiss before following Valentina. I heave a sigh before taking a bite of my waffles.

            I finish my breakfast quickly then head to my room in hopes to avoid Mrs. Parker today. Without anyone here to make her leave me alone, I'm sure she'd tear me apart with her insults.