Chapter 18 (Part 2)

"Think this through. For once use your head and not your..."

"Stop." I cut her off. "You know how I feel about her. But that's not what this is about. This is about you taking someone Sophie loves out of her life. Are you making decisions based on your own feelings or Sophie's?"

She glares at me for a moment before shaking her head and heading towards Sophie's room. "This is stupid." She says. "I don't know why I bothered. She's toxic to this family, but you'll never see her as anything but a prize to win. Sophie and I are going back home."

How could Victoria possibly be toxic? Someone as nice, caring, understanding, patient, and selfless as her could never be toxic to anyone. She's the type of person everyone wants in their life. This sudden decision is obviously for Grace's own benefit. Witnessing the relationship Sophie and Vicky have must have made her jealous. She's worried about Victoria taking her place from the very beginning.

"You can't just leave." I say, rushing over to block her path. "We haven't settled this yet."

"I'm getting Sophie and we're going home." She tries to get by me, but I easily move to block her.

"Don't just come here and pick a fight if you're not going to finish it. Just admit you're jealous after finally witnessing their relationship. The only problem you have with Vicky is she's seen as family in Sophie's eyes. Admit it."

"That's not true." She tries to move past me, but I block her again. "Stop! Let me by."

"Admit you're afraid Sophie will favor Victoria."

"Stop it, Aaron." She complains, trying to get by me again. I block her path once more.

"Admit you're afraid you'll lose to Victoria."

"Shut up!" She shouts. "Ugh, I hate you." She shoves me, and I stumble back a step from the force. She glares at me as tears form in her eyes and run down her cheeks. "Why did you put me in a position like this?" Her voice breaks. "Why did you let my daughter love someone else? Why did you let her replace me? Why don't you care that she's replaced me?"

She looks at me with tear filled eyes and the guilt creeps in. I didn't mean to make her cry. I just got caught up in the moment and let myself be a jerk. I didn't know she felt this way.

"Don't cry." I say, reaching towards her. She moves out of my reach as she slaps my hand away and goes to sit on the couch. She sniffles as she wipes her tears. "Grace, I'm sorry." I apologize as I slowly approach her before taking a seat on the couch besides her. "Please don't cry."

"I still have feelings for you." She says quietly, almost too low for me to hear. Part of me is surprised, but the other part of me isn't. It wasn't long ago that she kissed me, but I thought she'd moved on by now after learning about my feelings for Vicky. Why didn't she tell me this sooner? I wouldn't have talked about Vicky so much around her. "You have no idea what it's like to feel in the shadows of your own family. I'm nobody's first choice. You and Sophie would both rather have Victoria, than me. I've tried so hard these last couple years to make amends and to catch up on lost time. But it seems like no matter what I do, I'm never the one. You don't see me the way you see Victoria and that's okay. I can move on from that. But to have Sophie see me as second best is..." Her voice breaks as fresh tears start to forms trails down her cheeks.

"Don't cry." I say, hesitantly wrapping my arm around her shoulders. She lets me and I pull her to me in a comforting hug. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize you felt this way."