Chapter 12 (Part 1)

Chapter 12

*Colton*

I stare at the ring in the palm of my hand. It's like staring at my own dying heart. It's like she's ripped it out of my chest and placed it in my hand. I just lost the love of my life. I've never loved a girl as much as I love Victoria and I let my insecurity get in the way and ruin everything.

Her smile, her laugh, her kindness, her signature scent of vanilla. I'll no longer be able to experience any of these things anymore. This isn't like one of our fights where we make up in a few hours or days. This time she's actually gone and there's a hole in my chest to remind me.

***

Pete takes my coat as I walk through the front door. The door barely has time to close behind me before I'm ambushed by my mother and sister. Valentina looks at me expectantly with raised brows and hope in her eyes. My mother frowns at me with her hands folded across her chest.

"Valentina told me everything." My mother says. "You've been gone all day looking for that trailer park trash?" My brows furrow as anger sparks. "For what? Your father and I have told you that girl is no good. She's not like us. She'll ruin your life. She came here in the cheapest clothing, she thought a pointless fashion show was more important than your job, and she spent an entire day with her ex-boyfriend instead of spending time with you." Another spark.

"I'm sorry Colton." Valentina says. "I really thought things would work out. I liked Victoria."

"Oh please Val." My mother roles her eyes. "She was by far the worst girl he's brought home to us. Be happy that she's finally gone."

"You would think so, Mother." I snap, the sparks of anger finally igniting. "How dare I like something outside of what a standard Parker should. How dare I want a job that will make me happy. How dare I want to live a normal life and work instead of sitting back and living in all of these riches that have been handed to me. And how dare I love a girl who isn't rich and snotty, like you?"

"Colton Spencer Parker." My mother gasps, an angry expression crossing her face. "You watch how you speak to me."

"No, mom. I'm sick and I'm tired of living my life like this. I'm not happy here, and I haven't been in a long time. I don't want to spend ten hours a day running a business I don't care about. I want to be a film director. I want to make movies that people will love. I want to follow my dream, because I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't. I want to love who I want without the fear that you'll be angry or disappointed. You spent most of the day yesterday whispering in my ear about Victoria. Where was she? Had she called? Who was she with? I let you into my head like I always do, and it made my insecurities grow. Now I've lost the one person who accepts my goals in life and has pushed me to pursue them. I've lost the one person who loves me for me and not my money. I've lost the best friend I've ever had. I've lost the love of my life." The words spill out of my mouth with no control. The feelings I've bottled up for so long, have finally come. And I already feel better. "So here." I reach out and take my mother's hand, and place the ring in her palm. "Keep this ring now that the one person I thought I would spend the rest of my life with, is now gone."

Without another word, I go to my room and slam the door behind me. Rushing to my suitcase, I shove everything inside not caring about neatness.

I have to get out of here. I have to get away from this apartment, away from my family. I'll most likely be disowned after tonight anyway. My mother will tell my father about what happened tonight. He'll be angry, as he usually is with me, and he'll lecture me about my behavior and responsibilities. The moment I refuse to take over the company and vow to pursue my dream, he'll be done with me. Camden has always wanted to be a doctor. The only reason I was born was to take over the company. That's the only thing that's important to him. Not my wellbeing.