Chapter 23

** Caution! Extreme cheesiness ahead.

Chapter 23

*Victoria*

My mom takes our coats and ushers us into the dining room. Three steaming hot mugs of hot coco wait for us. Aaron and I take the two seats on one side of the table while my mom takes the one across from Aaron. She smiles brightly at us, the edges of her mouth nearly reaching her ears. Ever since Aaron and I started getting closer, she's been waiting for the moment to catch up with him.

"I'm so glad you decided to join us today, Aaron." She says. "You look well. Maybe a little wiser in the eyes and scruffier around the jaw, but that's to be expected with age." She laughs lightly. "So, tell me what you've been up to since we last met."

I sit back and relax as I sip my coco and listen to my mom and Aaron talk. I can't keep the smile off my face as they easily get along. Aaron was so worried over nothing. My mom has never been the type to hold a grudge. The past is water under the bridge for her.

"I just recently started work at a sporting goods store and I occasionally bus tables at a pub not far from my place." Aaron says. "Neither are great but they pay the bills, you know." He shrugs. "Plus the pub has a place Sophie can relax while I work."

"So you're juggling college, two part-time jobs, varsity football, and raising a child?" My mom raises her brow. "Your hands are beyond full and you seem to be handling it great. I can't imagine." She shakes her head in disbelief. "I dropped out of college the moment I got pregnant in fear of being too overwhelmed. Not everyone can do what you're doing. You should be very proud of yourself."

"Thanks Ms. Daniels, but I really don't do that much. I get a lot of help from my neighbors and Sophie's mom. I think I'd lose my mind if I were doing this by myself."

As if on cue, Aaron's phone rings Grace's name appears on his screen. A twinge of jealousy sparks inside me and I instantly feel guilty for the feeling. I hate that I get jealous every time she calls. As Sophie's mom, she'll always be contacting Aaron. I have to find a way to be okay with her calls.

"I'm sorry." Aaron apologizes. "I should take this."

"Sure, go ahead." My mom says, nodding towards the ringing phone.

"Hey." Aaron answers his phone as he stands and goes into the kitchen.

"He seems great." My mom says once Aaron is out of earshot. "He's different, yet the same."

"Yeah, he is." I smile. "But I think our maturity is what will protect this relationship."

"Are things going okay between you two so far?"
"Yeah, everything is going great." I reply. I'd love more than anything to discuss the Grace situation with her and get her advice, but I'd rather not stress myself out over it today. Besides, it's not really my place to expose Grace's situation or how she got there. "We're just taking things slow, you know." I continue. "Don't want to rush into anything."

"Well, don't take things too slow either. No need to hold yourself back."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you like the back of my hand, Vicky. No matter how much you may love him..." I raise my brows at her accusation. I never said I love him. How could I so soon? "I know you love him because you never stopped." She smirks at my reaction. "No matter how much you love him, you'll always keep yourself disconnected because you're afraid of getting hurt."