Chapter 19 (Part 1)

Chapter 19

*Victoria*

After trying on dresses for my mom and letting her do alterations, I leave and soon find myself standing in front of Aaron's apartment. I stare at the buzzer beside his last name debating whether to press it or not. I don't know if I should do this. What if it's a huge mistake? What if this all blows up in my face?

The cold bites at my cheeks as I try to make my decision. A few more minutes out here and I'll lose feeling in my face. A decision this big takes a lot of thought, but I'm sure if I leave now to think about it I'll be too afraid to come back. I'll see him again sooner or later and I'm sure he'll try to convince me to take him back again. He's not the type of person to give up on what he wants. If I keep saying no, he'll only keep trying. Eventually I'd be forced to end our friendship, and I don't want that. Maybe if I give him a second chance he'll prove he can be a good boyfriend, like he's proved he can be a good friend.

I take a deep breath before hesitantly reaching towards the buzzer. I jump when the main door suddenly opens. I glance over at the person leaving the building and am surprised to see Grace, Aaron, and Sophie. They pause when they see me and the nerves I felt before multiply.

"Vicky!" Sophie exclaims before jumping into my arms. I catch her and pick her up easily. "You came back like you said." She says as she wraps her arms around my neck in a hug.

"What are you doing here?" Aaron asks me.

"I came to talk to you." I say "I'm sorry, I should have called first." My eyes meet with Grace's and she doesn't bother masking her disapproving look.

"Sophie let's go." Grace says as she reaches for her.

"But Vicky just got here." Sophie whines. "Can't we stay for just a little while?"

"No, sweetie. It's time for us to go home. Come on."

"I'll see you later." I reassure her with a smile. I put her down and she gives me one last hug before going to Grace.

"Aaron, I'll talk to you later." Grace says. "Remember what we talked about."

"Of course." He says with a nod. "I'll see you later, Soph." He places a kiss on top of Sophie's head. "Love you."

"Love you too Daddy." Sophie smiles. "Love you too Vicky."

Before I can say anything, Grace takes Sophie's hand and pulls her away down the street. Sophie waves good-bye and I return it with a smile.

When they're out of sight, I turn my attention back to Aaron. As my eyes meet with his, my knees suddenly feel week. Am I actually going to go through with this?

"Would you like to come inside?" Aaron asks me, gesturing to the door. I nod and he leads the way inside.

I fall behind a little as I follow him up the stairs to his apartment. The butterflies flapping around in my stomach nearly make me sick as my nerves get worse with every step. I don't know if I have the courage to go through with this. If I leave now would he notice? Unfortunately, I don't get the chance as we arrive to his apartment. This time the usual comforting atmosphere doesn't take my nerves away.

"I can take your coat." He says, standing beside me with his hand extended. I slowly remove my coat and hand it to him. I stay put as he moves to the nearby closet to place my cot inside. "Do you want something to drink?" He asks, moving across the living room.