Chapter 26 (Part 2)

***

I dress in a long-sleeved silver sequin jumpsuit that clings to my body and flares towards the bottom. The plunging neckline that shows just a little more cleavage than I'm comfortable with, makes me want to find something else to wear. I slip on a pair of silver heels and look myself over in the mirror. My hair is mostly pinned up, with a few strands strategically left loose. The more dramatic makeup I opted for tonight doesn't look as bad as I expected it to, considering I excel at more natural makeup.

"Did you tell your mom I'd take any leftover outfits she happens to have lying around?" Nadine asks as she comes out of the bathroom from doing her makeup. "That outfit is amazing." She looks over my outfit which also happens to be one of my mom's designs from last year. She'd gifted it to me last Christmas.

"Yes, Nadine. I've mention it to her many times. Outfits don't really just end up lying around though."

"I'm just saying as your best friend, I think I should be getting some perks."

Nadine wears a tight black dress and some strappy silver heels with a matching silver necklace. Her curly hair falls around her face down to her shoulders. She looks effortlessly stunning.

"I'll be sure to mention it to her again." I reassure her. "Ready to go? I think the guys may already be there."

"Yeah, I'm ready. The guys can wait. We have a few hours until midnight and we're not too far anyway."

"Yes, but traffic is terrible on new year's eve. A ten-minute drive will turn into thirty or forty minutes."

"Okay, okay. Let's go."

We manage to catch a taxi and our ten-minute drive turns into twenty, which isn't as bad as expected. We go inside the crowded bar and soon find our friends at a nearby table. Nadine finds Donovan and immediately wraps herself in his arms. Aaron sits at the table and when our eyes meet. A dumb smile immediately takes over my face and my cheeks warm to a hundred degrees. I walk over and before I can say anything, he pulls me into his lap and meets his lips with mine. My heart pounds so fast it feels like it'll explode. I wrap my arms around his neck as he kisses me deeply. He wraps his arms around me tightly, his hands slowly moving below my lower back. I pull him closer, daring him to take things further as I start to feel things I shouldn't in a public place.

When he pulls away my heart breaks a little, but it's quickly remedied by his smile. "Hey." He says a little breathily.

"Hey." I reply, my smile matching his.

"Okay, so... that's going take some getting used to." Nadine says. I look at her and my cheeks flush even more with embarrassment at her weirded-out expression. "And I thought Donovan and I were bad. You have us beat tenfold."

"Sorry." Aaron apologizes. "We'll dial down the PDA."

"How about we get a couple of shots?" Nadine suggests. "Use our mouths for something else." She takes my hand and pulls me up from Aaron's lap. "Come to the bar with me." I didn't even have time to protest before she pulled me with her through the crowd. There are no seats at the bar so we get as close as we can so Nadine can order. She orders a couple of shots and a club soda with cranberry juice for me.

"So, you and Aaron's relationship is progressing further than I expected. You were with Colton for a year and you would never let him touch you in places Aaron was. Not to mention the public display of affection. That's never been your sort of thing."

"Things are different with Aaron." I explain. "He brings things out of me that I can't control. It definitely hasn't helped now that we've taken our relationship to the next level."