Chapter 3- Motives

Chapter Three - Motives

I stare after his retreating figure and his arms swing stiffly in irritation. I dump my food into the trash can, sitting there silently until they dismiss us to go back to class.

The rest of the day drags on uneventfully. Whenever I see Harry in the hall, the only thing that happens is he glares at me cautiously.

He freaked out when I acted kindly. Is he really so adapted to unkind treatment that a polite gesture is suddenly a hostile ploy? The bell rings and I gather my books together and swing them over my shoulder, walking out of the classroom.

As soon as i step out of the classroom, I nearly take my first step when my shoulder is rammed, nearly knocking me down. I grunt, looking around at the flow of traffic.

Everyone is rushing in the same direction, all cheering. A frown appears on my face as i follow the current of moving people. A sharp gasp escapes me as I see what all the commotion was about.

Harry.

He has a boy up against the wall by his throat, punching him in the gut.

"Harry!" I shout, shoving through the crowd. I make my way through and run to him. "Harry, stop!" I plead desperately, grabbing his arm and pulling on it.

He looks back at me and grunts, snapping angrily "Diana, leave me alone!"

I huff, pulling on his arm more frantically. He ignores me, slamming his fist into the gut of the boy again. The boy coughs, barely catching my gaze desperately.

I groan, quickly shoving myself between the boy and Harry, breaking Harry's grip on the boy. The boy's knees buckle, falling to the ground.

Harry steps closer to me, shaking all over furiously. "Diana! What part of 'leave me alone' don't you understand?!" He demands, catching my wrist. I grimace, pulling hard on his grip, which he tightens.

"Are you stupid?!" He yells. I grunt with effort, ripping free.

"Apparently i am to think that there was a possibility of you having a brain!"

Harry freezes and the whole crowd surrounding us chuckles quietly. The boy is still kneeling behind me, trying to catch his breath. Harry continues to stand there in silence and i grit my teeth before turning back to the boy.

I kneel by him and rub his back gently, brows furrowed. "Are you alright?" I ask softly, watching his face. He barely nods, glancing fearfully up at Harry who stands there, fuming. I take the boy's hand, helping him to his feet.

Harry huffs and snarls sharply "Get away from him, Diana.." I look back at him and snap back "Why?! So you can beat him up again?!" He shifts in his place, face contorted in anger. "Just move!" He barks, grabbing my arm.

I set my jaw and reach back, interlacing my fingers through the boy's.

"If you want him, you're getting through me.." I mumble softly. He grunts in anger and drops my arm. I keep my hand in the boy's, glaring straight at Harry.

He squirms in place and whispers "Diana.. I don't want to have to hurt you.." I shake my head.

"Then don't."

"Then move."

I furrow my brows, planting my feet firmly. He grits his teeth and looks over my shoulder at the boy. "Get lost.." He mumbles to him.

I release my grip on the boy's hand and he immediately scrambles away. I meet Alice's and Clayton's eyes in the crowd as they watch me cautiously. Harry grabs my wrist again tightly and jerks me sharply into him, pulling me towards the edge of the crowd.