Chapter 19- Lullabies

Chapter 19 - Lullabies

I shoot up in my bed, my head throbbing from the awful shrieking that seemed to linger in my mind. Once again, I was damp all over with sweat, my cheeks hot with the tears that wouldn't stop. I had the same chilling dream again. That's how it's been for the past week. It never varied.

I always am sent to my knees from the pain of the bloodcurdling sound, there's a bright flash, and when the fog disperses, Harry is lying in a puddle of his own blood, dead. The horrifying dream is slowly starting to gnaw at my nerves.

I roll to glance at the clock, the red numbers seeming to blind me in the dark room. My heart sinks. 3:27. But surely after the nightmare, I won't be able to fall back asleep. So I lay there in the blackness, anxiously waiting for my alarm to blare and for the sun to begin peeking through my curtains.

But as I toss and turn, still damp with sweat and tears still running down my face, I can't ease my mind back to sleep. The time drags on and I'm practically praying for the daylight to come. But to no avail.

So I do the only thing I can think of. I roll over to grab the landline off the table and dial Harry's number. The obnoxious beeping drones into my ear and I'm silently begging for him to pick up.

My heart skips a beat when I hear a click and then a deep and irritated sigh. His voice mumbles through the phone, raspy and low "Hello?"

I don't even wait a moment to respond. "Can you come over?"

He sighs deeply again and I hear a soft plop as he most likely collapses back into his pillow. "What do you need, Julia..."

I gnaw on my lower lip, pausing to regather my thoughts. He waits patiently, breathing quietly and deeply. I barely whisper, glancing towards the door "I had a bad dream.. I'm a bit freaked..." My voice cracks towards the end and I sniffle.

There's a long pause on his side of the phone and I hear his bed creak, his voice concerned and slightly more alert "Pips, have you been crying?" As soon as he points it out, it brings forwards another surge of tears.

"No..." I sob pathetically, shoulders shaking violently. "Oh, darling..." He sighs deeply, soft footsteps echoing through the phone. "I'll be over soon, give me a few minutes, love..." I sniffle quietly, giving a nod even though I know he can't see me. "Thank you..." I whisper, wiping at my cheeks with the heel of my hand.

There's a soft click on the other side of the phone and I feel the small bit of comfort leave me, my chest feeling empty. And yet again- it was becoming almost comical- another violent wave of sobs wracks my chest. So I sit in the dark, hugging my knees and waiting for Harry.

A quiet tap sounds on my window and I gasp, looking over as I scramble out of bed. I lean my hands against the windowsill, peeking out into the dark night.

Harry stands below me, one hand filled with pebbles, the other tucked in his armpit to ward off the cold. His curls are wild and matted, a loose grey tshirt draping his body and sweats hanging deliciously low on his hips. His face is adorned with a gentle smile as he watches me with kind eyes.

I can't hold back the smile as I open the window carefully, cringing to myself when it creaks. Harry waits patiently below me and I can finally manage to get the window open. And then I can't help myself as I call down quietly

"Romeo, Romeo. Wherefore art thou Romeo?"

He rolls his eyes, shaking his head as he calls back sarcastically "Romeo art freezing his buttocks off. Open the door, dork."

I giggle quietly and nod, tiptoeing to the door and out into the hall. I wipe at my cheeks again as I sneak down the stairs, unlocking the door carefully as I open it. Harry stands before me, shivering with a concerned smile on his lips. He quickly slips in past me, shuddering as he whispers.