Epilogue - Falling Asleep

Harry's P.O.V.

There's a soft beeping somewhere towards my right. Bright lights hover above me, shining brilliantly. I lay alone in the uncomfortable bed, toying with the golden band resting on my finger. I know that the end awaits me.

But I don't fear it.

I've lived a long, happy life. I've been loved by many people. I've had my fair share of heartbreak. I've had my moments of pain, and my moments of strength. So as I lay in this hospital bed today, I have no sorrow as I wait for the moment when the beeping to my right draws to a cease.

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome in my life. I have three beautiful children. A son, Joshua Elliot. Two daughters, Olivia Darcy, and of course Ariana had agreed to Julia Elizabeth.

I even have five grandchildren.

I'd already said goodbye to my beloved family that now wait for the moment when the doctor will go out to them and apologize for their loss.

I'd insisted that I be alone in my final few minutes with nobody but my thoughts and memories. I don't want to put them through the strain of watching someone die before them.

Though I strongly wish with all my heart that my wife was here with me to hold my hand as I once had for a love a lifetime ago, I take slight comfort in the fact that she won't have to watch it happen as I had. Many years ago, Ariana and I had divorced.

That is one of my biggest regrets, letting her go. But she's found someone else who loves her just as much as I do.

And I'm happy.

Because awaiting me is someone who I haven't seen in so long.

Had I not visited her grave that day, her birthday, I wouldn't have bumped into the shy, dark haired girl with stunning blue eyes and a dimpled smile. I would not be the way I am today, where I am today without her.

So as I slowly feel myself drifting into oblivion, I picture she's with me. I struggle to dredge up an image from within my mind of her. And like the sun bursting at last through a sheet of clouds, I see it.

I see her face.

At this, an amazed, surprised cry bursts from me.

Because I can remember her now. I imagine she sits at my bedside as I had for her. I picture she smiles, telling me stupid jokes. I picture her teasing me for my greying hair and how I've aged, while she still is blessed with her youthful, radiant smile.

I picture she strokes my cheek lightly, humming the familiar tune to me. I picture her standing and offering me her hand.

And I picture both of us walking towards the light.

The hospital room around me is gone. I lay on silky sheets and a warm hand is in mine. I open my eyes to a completely white room where everything glows. And when I look down to the hand in mine, there aren't aged hands. There are two young hands from a lifetime ago, holding each other.

The tiny hand holding mine squeezes gently, comfort washing through me at the familiar feeling.

And I hear her voice.

Her wonderful voice I missed so much.

"Hello, Harry... Welcome to Heaven..."

I smile, because she's with me.

Even after I fell asleep.