Chapter 14- Crackers and Cheese

I find myself walking yet again down the sidewalk, Harrys hand stiff in mine. The silence is slightly awkward and I'm afraid to look at Harry's face.

"Diana..." He starts quietly. I can't make myself meet his eyes but I reply just as quietly "Yes, Harry?" I can feel his eyes on my face as he speaks again, careful to keep his tone calm and collected. "You know... You know I wouldn't pick someone else over..over you... Right...?"

I pause, slightly taken aback that it was on his mind. "Yeah..." I reply, sounding more like a question. He shifts uncomfortably again and I clear my throat awkwardly.

The ground is suddenly very interesting as I watch my shoes kick along a pebble. The silence stretches out even longer. I don't know where we're going and frankly I don't want to ask.

Eventually I begin to recognize our neighborhood again. I steal a glance towards him, making sure everything was alright. His brows are furrowed deeply, his lips pressed together tightly and his jade eyes brooding.

Suddenly he pulls us to a stop, his eyes meeting mine. My stomach does flips at his gaze and I quickly look away, turning to see we stopped in front of his house.

I clear my throat awkwardly as he stares at the small house, brows furrowed as if he's trying to decipher a difficult math problem. "Is something wrong?" I have to force the words out of my mouth. "Wait here." He mutters, his hand slipping from mine.

He jogs towards the house and I quickly bring my clammy hands to my lips, blowing lightly across the palms as my eyes follow him. I wipe my damp hands on my jeans, bouncing a little on my heels nervously.

Harry slows when he approaches the porch, walking up the stairs as he cautiously opens the door. He peeks his head inside and I look away, letting out a shuddery breath. After a moment he jogs back over, eyes brighter and a little more excited.

A wary smile makes it's way onto my face as he crooks his finger towards me, a mischievous smile playing the corners of his lips. I walk to meet him halfway up the walkway, his hand immediately moving to grip mine again. I ignore the tingling that flies through my arm, a smile taking my expression as he pulls me towards the house excitedly.

We rush through the doorway and I feel my nose scrunch up when I'm immediately greeted by the smell of tobacco and spearmint. He doesn't seem to notice, pulling me up the creaking stairs and down a hall. He slides a door open and I inwardly cringe, preparing myself for a dirty room.

But I'm honestly shocked at the tidy, OCD perfectly arranged bedroom. Not even a wrinkle in the bedcover.

Harrys bright eyes flicker between mine, grinning. "Wait here." He releases my hand and rushes out of the room again. I chuckle quietly when I hear his footsteps thud down the hall, rushing down the stairs. Towards the end they fumble and I hear a thump, followed by an exclamation from Harry.

Inexplicably, my cheeks burn and a giggle pushes through my lips, my hands flying to cover my face. An embarrassed laugh rings through the house as he yells up to me "Im fine!" I giggle again quietly, imagining as he gnaws on his lip, his hands combing anxiously through his hair and his eyes everywhere but mine.

I look around the small room, an odd flicker going off in the back of my head as I notice the side table looks oddly empty like there's something missing.

From the corner, a brief twinkle catches my eye. I look more closely to see the trash can, the edge of a picture frame peeking out. My brows knit deeply, my stomach twisting in a knot.

I shouldn't pry. Don't pry, Julia. This isn't your business. Respect Harrys privacy. I sigh to myself, walking over to the trash can, my arms stiff at my side.