Chapter 7- "Pips"

Chapter Seven - "Pips"

I stare at him for a moment, shocked. I crawl to the front of him, crossing my legs as I stare at him. "Harry.." I whisper. He continues to keep his eyes downcast. "Harry, look at me.."

Slowly his head lifts to watch me glumly. I barely shake my head, taking his hand in mine. "Harry, don't say you have nobody.. You have me.."

His brows knit together deeply. Slowly he whispers, raw pain and confusion in his voice like a scared child "I was nothing but mean to you... Why are you so nice to me?"

I smile slightly, looking down. "Because nobody else is.." He doesn't reply for a while as I stare at his hands. The silence stretches on.

Slowly I look up at him to see him staring at me in wonder, eyes wide. I smile and slowly reach up, lightly placing my hand on his cheek. He winces slightly and I frown.

He offers a small smile "It's okay.. Just a bit sore..." I slowly reach up, pressing my lips gently to his cheek. His hand immediately flies up to the spot, eyes widening further.

"What was that for?" He asks in surprise. I smile a little and shrug. "I'm the one who got you into this mess in the first place. It's the least I could do.." He bites his lip with a tiny smile. After a moment he frowns, pointing at his nose. "My nose hurts too.."

I smile slightly, lightly kissing the tip of his nose. His hand slowly moves to gesture at the fresh bruises on his side. I smile a little more and giggle, bending down to peck his side. He smiles and points at his shoulder. I look up at him to see his smile growing cheekily. I roll my eyes, lightly kissing his shoulder.

His smile slowly slips and his hand moves up to point at his lips. I pause searching his eyes. "Harry.." I whisper. He swallows hard, brows furrow as he mumbles ever so softly "Please, Diana.." I force a little smile and barely nod, slowly leaning up to press my lips lightly to his.

It's a very short, sweet kiss and his hands slowly move to rest on my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck, closing my eyes. I feel him smile into the kiss and I pull away. My hands move down to place on his chest and I look up at him. His eyes are awed and vulnerable.

"Thank you.." He whispers. I smile weakly and barely nod. Butterflies flutter around in my stomach.

No. I can't let this happen. I don't know what the rules are about romance, but I do know that once I've completed this mission, I'm to be relocated away from him. I can't do this. It's simply not an option.

I move one hand from the back of his neck to lightly brush my knuckles across his cheek. I wait for a moment, searching his eyes as I continue to gently caress his battered cheek. His eyes are still swirling foggily as he fights to comprehend what happened.

After a moment he murmurs in childish confusion "Did... Did this just happen?" He laughs breathlessly and his big, warm hands move up to cup the sides of my neck gently. I giggle a little as his eyes continue to flicker over my face hopefully. "Yes, Harry.." I chuckle, amused by his reaction.

A huge smile spreads across his face as if I'd just told a little boy there would be two Christmases. After a moment a blush creeps into his cheeks as he murmurs shyly "C-Can I hug you?"

I smile slightly and remove my arm from his neck, and my hand from his face. He waits patiently, a tiny smile playing at his lips. I giggle, holding out my arms. He responds with a broad grin, throwing his arms around me and jerking me into his chest.

A choked laugh escapes me as he holds me tightly into his chest. He rests his chin on the top of my head and I can't help but notice that I can feel his warm breath dancing through my hair.