Chapter 31 - Clinic

Chapter 31 - Clinic

I'm paralyzed with panic. Walking towards me is the boy from the cafeteria who Harry had saved me from. But what panics me most is his face. His face is completely blank as he closes the distance between us, stopping nearly a meter away.

"Diana." He states quietly, dipping his head once as an acknowledgement.

"What do you want, Josh?" Kyle asks from behind me and I feel my respect for the young boy grow as he steps forward, the back of his hand brushing mine reassuringly.

"I'm sorry." The older boy -Josh- states, his icy eyes locked on mine. I feel my brows furrow in confusion but I can't make myself speak up. "For everything." He clarifies, swallowing hard as he shifts his weight to his back leg.

This one moment in time. There are so many emotions coursing through me. Fear, confusion, grief, and yet somehow there's a small flicker of awe. People pass by, unaware of the impact of these few short moments with nothing more than a sidelong, sympathetic glance or hushed whispers. But they still walk by, not any clue towards the significance of this seemingly meaningless conversation.

"I know what I did was... extremely wrong. You don't have to say anything, but I'm sorry ...About your mom too." He says quietly. Kyle stands faithfully by my side like a golden retriever. He's completely clueless yet he stands next to me as if ready to jump into action although we haven't hardly known each other two minutes, despite his obvious size disadvantage.

"I forgive you... And thank you..." I barely whisper without thinking, pulling my book bag closer. Surprise crosses his face. And then panic on both boys' faces.

I internally groan. What now? Just as I turn to see who they're both gawking at, I look up in time to see Harry's arm pull me into his side.

His face is calm but his eyes are furious. Livid. By the slightest step he takes, barely noticeable as he pulls me away from Josh, his anger shows through. With a quick gesture towards both boys, my voice comes out as a small mumble. "Harry, this is Kyle and Josh. Kyle, Josh, this is Harry. You've both met Harry once."

When he beat the crap out of both of you, I silently add.

Harry tears his gaze from Josh to look at me, slight confusion in his eyes. The questions are written all over his face. Are you okay? Why are you here? Why are they talking to you?

I can't help but feel bad for both of the boys before us as they simultaneously take the slightest of steps away from the towering, tattooed boy at my side. I thought Josh was tall but next to Harry, he's dwarfed. And then poor Kyle is nothing but a crumb next to Harry's impressive height.

Harry looks away from me to look down at the small boy, squinting slightly as he struggles to dredge up their encounter. And then his eyes widen in recognition. "Hey, I know you." He recalls, a smile crossing his face. And then it slips into an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry for that, I really am. I shouldn't have done that... I'm sorry..." His smile slips away as he assesses Kyle's face carefully. Kyle's grey eyes widen in surprise before he barely nods, choking out a quiet "S'fine." before Harry turns to Josh.

"I'm not sorry for what I did to you, touch my girlfriend again and you'll be nothing but a stain on the ground." He states calmly.

"Harry." I snap quietly, whacking him in the stomach. He looks down at me, stating with confusion in his voice. "Well I'm not." I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "He apologized." I quietly whisper, watching as his face turns to surprise. Harry looks back to the icy eyed boy, a small and apologetic frown crossing his face and furrowing his brows.