Chapter 39 - Wishes and Pinky Promises

Chapter 39- Wishes and Pinky Promises

I've never been one to pray. Seeing as there's proof angels do exist, there has to be a God of some sort. And I've been pouring my soul out to him for the past twenty minutes.

I've been sitting in a secluded corner of the waiting room, sobbing for Julia to beat the odds. Begging to be able to one day see her in white. Pleading for one day to see her in this very same hospital, cradling a beautiful baby in her arms. I'm praying for a miracle.

It's taking everything in me not to scream out in anguish. To run to her and not let anything stop me. So I sit on my own, suffering and throwing my heart towards the heavens just for her to live.

Her family sits in the opposite corner, Laura's arms wound tightly around her husband as she cries into his shirt, his own eyes red as he stares blankly at the opposite wall. Her younger brother and sister are clutching their hands together, both whispering soft prayers of their own.

Clayton hasn't moved since he sat down. He's been leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, staring at the floor. His Adam's apple occasionally bobs, quickly followed by a sniffle as he chokes back tears.

I've given up all sense of dignity, not afraid to sit here and sob and plead towards the ceiling. When finally we hear it.

"Diana Elizabeth Rose?"

Instantly, all six of us launch to our feet. I rush across the room, fumbling over my own legs at least twice before I reach the doctor.

"How is she?" Her sister- Alice- pipes up in a thick whisper. Then I really look at the doctor. It's the same doctor that treated me when we came here together. It takes me a minute, but his name comes to me. Doctor Turner. Travis Turner.

He barely sighs, glancing around at each of us, some of his golden-brown hair poking from his cap. "I'm gonna be frank with you all... Her chances aren't great.." He sighs.

"Can I see her?" The question bursts forth eagerly before I can stop it. His pale blue eyes meet mine, his brows barely furrowing as he bites his lip.

"Diana is.. One of her ribs punctured her lung completely.. She's got a major concussion and a few fractures in her ribs." He sighs, looking back to Laura and her husband as he talks.

"Hairline fracture in her right hip, a..lot of internal bleeding, and.." He trails off for a moment, assessing their face before barely nodding. "Her spine was damaged. If she lives, she won't be walking.."

A strangled cry bursts from Alice's and she turns to hide her face in Clayton's chest. There's a short, suffocating silence before Thomas bursts into soft sobs, head bowing. Once again, I'm struck dumb. Just staring.

"Will she live?" Julia's father asks, visibly tightening his grip on his wife's waist.

Doctor Turner hesitates.

And that's all the confirmation I need.

"She's going to die..." I state slowly, the tears instantly returning to my eyes. The doctor's light eyes meet mine again. "There isn't much we could do.. Her injuries were too-"

I cut him off, anger underlying but evident in my raising voice. "Then stop making us feel worse and let us see her."

Surprisingly, nobody seems shocked by my outburst.

They're all in silent agreement.

"Who's first?" The doctor asks softly, tiredly.

I want so badly to step up and claim the honor to be mine. But seeing her heartbroken family next to me, all clinging to theirselves or eachother as they struggle to maintain composure, I have to swallow back my desire and step back a little, my eyes finding the floor.