Chapter 29 - Lies

Chapter 29 - Lies

Julia's P.O.V.

I can only stare. Harry had answered the phone and as he talked, he watched me. He'd uttered a barely audible "Aunt Jane, who was it?" And then he went pale. Terror is icy in my veins, freezing me to my spot. I don't want to know who was in the accident.

Harry seems to have a different idea as he slowly slides his phone back into my pocket, glancing at me with pain in his eyes.

"Harry, what is it? What's going on?" The words tumble past my lips breathlessly. My heart is pounding. I can hear it in my ears. It's going to pound out of my chest. "Let's take you home." He barely whispers, so quietly I wonder if I imagined it.

His arm slides through mine again and I'm following him silently towards the car. I am so terrified. What's happened? Did something happen to his father? Harry's green eyes are focused forwards, jaw set. His face is blank, brows furrowed in thought. Finally I can't handle to look at his face any longer so I quickly draw my gaze down to his arm.

What happened that's so bad he won't even look at me? But then I see it. His arm is trembling. In fact, his whole body is. Despite the warm summer night, he's shaking like a leaf as he reaches to open the door for me.

I slide into the cool car, keeping my gaze on my dress. The only thing that hangs in the air is silence. Dead silence. Harry won't speak and I'm afraid to. I'm too scared to even look up at him. So slowly and carefully, I slide my hand over to place on his. There's a short pause before he withdraws his hand from mine, placing it on the steering wheel.

Hurt flashes through me and my hand stings as if he'd slapped it. When I look up at him, his expression hurts even more. His brows are furrowed deeply in sorrow, eyes glossy with raw pain. I actually would strongly prefer he'd slap my hand over this. The pain is nowhere near as bad as seeing him hurting.

When finally, he pulls up in front of my massive home.

And then his eyes meet mine.

A shock is sent through me and I recoil as if I've been pushed. Because it's then I realize the pain isn't for himself. He's hurting for what he's going to tell me.

"I don't want to know." I immediately whisper, feeling tears prick my eyes.

"Julia..." He chokes, his large hand raising to cup my cheek. He clenches his jaw, blinking quickly. His head ducks for a moment and I see his brows furrow in brief anger. I can't even breathe.

"Julia, I hate myself for being the one to tell you." He barely breathes, his eyes closing as his face contorts in pain. "Harry, please.." I whimper hoarsely, tilting my head to rest my cheek in his palm. My hands come up to grab his wrist, my other hand placing over the back of his to keep him close to me. I need him close to me. And finally, he opens his eyes and looks up, hesitantly meeting my gaze.

"Julia, your mother." He mumbles thickly.

And I die.

My hands fall limply into my lap as I gaze at him blankly.

"Pips, she was in an accident." He whispers guiltily as if he's the cause of it. His words hang in the air.

My throat tightens, the lies trying to force their way to cut off my breathing. But I've beat them to it. I stopped breathing the moment his glossy eyes met mine with that awful, raw guilt.

But there are no tears in my own eyes. The wetness rimming my eyes has gone. My mouth is dry. My heartbeat has all but stopped. Someone carved a hole in me. Someone has jabbed a rugged knife into me and cut a hole out of me. I can feel my insides crumbling to nothing. I can feel my heart slowly sinking and leaking out, leaving me empty and cold. My lungs burn for air but I have no motivation to breathe in. There is nothing but emptiness.