Chapter 28 - Prom

Chapter 28 - Prom

As the front door opens downstairs, I can feel excitement bubbling up in me as I quickly rush past Alice. Just as I step out the door, I feel her small hand grab my arm.

"Julia, hold on." She whispers quietly, ignoring as I strain towards the stairs. "Julia, you don't want to look desperate." She hisses, pulling me further away from the stairs. "But I am desperate!" I whine, leaning as best as I can to try to see Harry. "Don't let him know that." She giggles quietly, grabbing my other wrist to turn me to face her.

Once her green eyes lock with mine, I force myself to focus on her, not on the boy right below us. Alice gives a small smile, her chestnut hair struggling to free itself from the loose bun that clings to her head.

"Count to ten, Julia. Then go down. Slowly." She instructs, nodding slowly as if explaining to a child. I barely nod, forcing the trembling whispers past my lips.

"One... two... three..."

Alice nods encouragingly, mouthing the numbers with me.

"Four... Five... Six..."

"Julia?" I hear Harry call from down the stairs.

"Ten!" I hiss silently towards Alice, spinning on my heel towards the staircase. I quickly make my way down the stairs, probably breaking the sound barrier. And then I meet his eyes.

His green eyes look over me adoringly, his pink lips parted in awe. This immediately stops me. It brings me back to a normal pace as I grip the railing to keep myself from diving into his arms. And finally after an agonizing wait, my silver shoes touch the floor in front of Harry.

He's dressed in an entirely black suit, buttoned neatly over a white shirt. A white rose is peeking out of his pocket, right over his heart. His dark curls are carefully styled up into a sleek quiff, not one curl out of place.

I feel one hand envelop mine but I can't make myself look down. I can't tear my eyes from his beautiful smile.

"You look... stunning." He barely whispers just as I feel something brush against my wrist. I look down just in time to see him pull his hand away from my wrist, where now a corsage sits snugly.

I smile in response, looking back up to meet his eyes. "So do you." I murmur, my heart leaping around erratically inside my chest. Another dazzling smile crosses his lips.

We're silent, both of us just soaking in the other's presence. Behind me, I hear someone clear their throat and I turn, having forgotten anyone else but Harry is here.

Laura and Tony stand with smiles, Tony's arm wound around Laura's thin waist. "You both look great." Tony states, grinning. I feel an arm wrap around me, Harry's side pressed against mine.

"Thank you, sir." He replies politely. Laura looks up towards her husbands face, a smile on her own. And Tony gives another impish grin. "Harry, now I know you can be trusted and you care deeply for our Julia. But I want you to treat her well. We love Julia as if she's our actual daughter. You take care of her, son." He points at Harry as he says the last part, his tone stern. But to my relief, he still has that big smile.

So I look up to Harry to see him grinning broadly. "I will, sir. I love Julia just as much as you all do. And if I may be so bold, maybe more. I won't let anything happen to her." He states seriously, his grip tightening on my waist. Tony assesses the tall boy at my side, his face blank in thought. And then he smiles. "You two kids have fun."

∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘

Harry helps me out of the car, one hand in mine, the other pushing the rental car door shut. Harry had not exactly been too keen on the idea of taking a pink Volkswagen bug to prom so he had gone to the effort of renting a small black car.