Keep It (Ch 21)

Becca's POV

Graduation was yesterday and Jeff is leaving in two days to go off to college. He got accepted to NYU. New York University. I texted him and asked him to meet me at the beach. Now I'm sitting in the sand waiting for him. I'm wearing jeans, a plain white tee shirt, his leather jacket, and no shoes. Cody has rubbed of on me and I'v been going without shoes lately. I picked up a hand full of sand and watched it as it slipped through my fingers. I felt someone sit down next to me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"I need to talk to you."

"That doesn't sound good." Jeff said as he took his arm off me and looked into my eyes.

"I don't think we should stay together." I turned my head to meet his dark eyes. "With you moving to New York. Me staying here. Also, there's someone else. I haven't been seeing him though. Don't get me wrong, I love you, but I love them a bit more." He sighed.

"I think I know who it is."

"Who?"

"Cody. I'v seen the way you look at him. Then when he leaves a room you watch him leave, then look at the doorway as if he's coming right back in. I'v known. Did you used to date him?"

"Ya. He was my boyfriend for almost two years."

"I hope he realizes it someday. You deserve him, and he deserves you." He got up. "Want a ride home?"

"No that's ok. It's not far."

"Ok. Bye Becca. I love you."

"I love you too." He turned around. I got up and ran after him.

"Wait." I took the jacket off. "Here." I extended my hand.

"Keep it." He smiled then turned back around. I realized how cold it was outside and put it back on. I waited for him to go and watched the sun set. I took a few pictures. It was just too beautiful not to. I walked home replaying the conversation in my head.

Was it really that noticeable? I wonder if Cody notices.

I stepped inside and went upstairs. I put the jacket in my closet and headed back downstairs. Cody was on the couch. I sat in the chair then looked over at him. He was wearing jeans, and a tank top. His hair looked like he has been running his fingers through it.

"Do you know where Alli is?" He glanced at me, then pulled his attention back to the tv.

"She's at a photo shoot."

"Would you mind if I talked to you about something?" He looked at me surprised. I usually don't tell him stuff anymore. I only do it cause I don't want to see him upset. He usually hears things from Alli. This time is different though.

"Sure." He sat up and turned the tv off. He gave me his full attention.

"I broke up with Jeff." His expression was priceless.

"When?" I looked down at my hands.

"Just now. I told him it was because he was moving to New York for college..." I looked up at him. "and that I love someone else."

"What did he say?"

"He actually took it well. I tried giving him his jacket back, but he wouldn't take it."

"I'm sorry." I think that's all he could say to not smile. I smiled at him.

"Thanks. But I'm fine with it. He said he could tell for awhile that I'v loved someone else. Now I'm just trying to find a way to tell them." He nodded. He looks...happy? I haven't seen him genuinely happy in awhile. He turned the tv back on. I got up and sat next to him on the couch.

I just remembered two years ago when Glenn Nutley gave me a card saying if I ever wanted to work for him in the future then I could just call him. I'll call him tomorrow. I can't wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love you<3