Chapter 3

Chapter 3

⚠️WARNING⚠️ MAY CONTAIN DISTURBING IMAGERY. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH VIOLENCE OF ANY SORT, PLEASE SKIP THIS CHAPTER. IT IS MERELY A GLIMPSE INTO THE PAST OF THE MAIN CHARACTER.

Sincerely,
YOUR AUTHOR.

Evelyn (Evie)

I was 17. I had just begun Junior Year and went out with Jackie to see a movie at the Cinema. Dad had lent me the car and we passed by Jackie's house to pick up a pair of clothes. Her parents were out and had given her permission to stay at mine for a night. Nurses said she was doing fine. There wasn't any sign of disruption in her brain waves so we were good to go.

I guess they missed something.

When I walked in, giggling at something Jackie had mentioned about the main character being attractive, I heard yelling. Not that I wasn't used to it but this time it was different. I got a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and felt the air sucked out of me. I walked past the living room and almost stopped in my tracks as I glanced at it momentarily. I had to look twice because I wasn't sure of what I saw. But when I saw it, I couldn't stop the gasp leaving my mouth. It caught Jackie's attention and I had to quickly cover her eyes. Not that it would do much since the worst of all scenes lied ahead.

There, on the carpeted ground of our living room, lied the one of the nurses in charge of my mother. She had stab wounds and her scrubs were stained in dark blood, the edges rimmed with the dried up liquid. It had begun to smell, giving me the idea that this begun earlier than I was anticipating. Gabby, the nurse, had a needle, one used to give my mother her medicine, stabbed into the left side of her heart, beside the middle of her chest and above her breast. Her face had incisions made by a knife. The wounds leaked and her eyes had been clawed out, but yet they were still intact with her body. I couldn't stop staring at her. I was shocked, afraid and traumatized by the sight.

I forced myself to look away, and keep walking. Tears rimmed my eyes, and I couldn't see clearly. There were bloody footsteps, both feminine and male, leading to my bedroom. Then there was that scream again, it gave me goosebumps and caused the sweat on my forehead to freeze. It wasn't my mother's, nor my father's, scream.

It was someone else's. I gulped and stopped in my tracks. I turned to Jackie and looked into her the eyes. "Stay here," I whimpered. Her eyes widened in fear and she shook her head frantically. "I can't let you go in there. Not by yourself... what if she kills you?" My heart jumped but I shook it off. "They wouldn't hurt me."

"You don't know that."

But I did.

"Please stay here. If you hear me scream, run and call the police." My voice shook as I spoke and so did my hands. "Evie—"

"Go into the kitchen," I commanded. She stood there for a few seconds before she nodded slowly and quietly stepped into the kitchen. I made sure she hid in the space below the sink like Dad would tell me to do so when my mom got into her moods. This time it was different than then.

Then there was the same scream again, then a sob. I gulped and whimpered softly before attempting to call my parents. "Mom?" I hiccuped and took slow steps toward the sound. "Dad?" I croaked.

Trying to speak to my parents was the worst idea I've ever had.

I should've left the house. I should've ran and taken Jackie with me when I had the chance. This was a bad idea. I've never done anything so stupid. My mother stood beside the second nurse, nicest lady I've ever met. I shook and didn't think I could stand. She sobbed silently and closed her eyes. I couldn't speak and my lip wouldn't stop trembling. Mom walked closer to the nurse. It's as if the nurse could feel her cause she winced. Then the screams returned. There was a corkscrew twisted into her leg. She was strapped to my desk chair.