Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Evelyn," I hear Jackie call as she wakes me from my dream. I groan. But I'm sleepy. She continues to pester me till I finally react by smacking her hand away. I exhale loudly, feeling my bones loosen up. I slowly open my eyes and look out the window. It's dark out, not a star in the sky. Just like when we left this morning. According to my calculations, it's about 5 or 6 a.m. And it's Saturday. I sigh and stand from my seat, feeling a wave of nausea pass over me. Jackie notices and panics slightly. I shake my head and wave her away.

"Do you want some water?" I take a deep breath and try to keep my eyes open. Closing them would only cause me to faint. She runs to ask the flight attendants for a bottle of water before they leave. She comes back with one of the freshest bottle I've ever seen. I quickly gulp it down entirely. I sigh contently and then yawn.

"You can't tell me you're still sleepy?" She says, incredulously. "You slept the whole entire flight!" I glare at her and turn to grab my bags. "So did you. So leave me alone," I say in a little girl voice. "I woke up with 10 hours and five minutes to spare. You?" Cheeky little shit.

I roll my eyes at her with a smile. We walk off the plane with my body weight against Jackie as I lean on her for support. She groans when I become too heavy. "Get off of me!" I grunt and tell her to shush. We walk towards a man that Jackie seems to recognize. "Mani," she smiles wide, bowing to him. I do the same, knowing full well why she does it. He smiles wide and bows as well. "Jackie, welcome back. And you must be Miss Evelyn," I bow once again with a polite smile. "Evelyn Martinez. Nice to meet you," I grin. He smiles and gestures for us to follow after taking our bags.

As we step out of the airport, my eyes widen at the marvelous sight. The buildings. The lights. They look just like in the Fast and Furious Movie. So bright and luminescent. It's like neon signs all over the place with sparkling windows.

Amazing.

Along the way to Jackie's dad's apartment, I see Manga and Anime heaven. My eyes twinkle at the sight and I think I almost cry. "I knew you'd love it," she giggles at my slack-jawed expression. I look over at Jackie and grip her arm, smacking my thigh to keep myself from hitting her out of excitement.

I hyperventilate for a few seconds before I squeal loudly. "Are you kidding?! This place is amazing! I can finally buy manga straight outta Japan! Isn't that amazing?!" She gives me an amused look then chuckles. "Wow, you two are more alike than I thought." Her eyes train back onto her phone. I frown as curiosity peaks. I poke Jackie's arm and lean in closer. "Who?" She shakes her head and ignores me as we pull up at the hotel. "Jackie," I whine. That wicked smile on her face widens.

"Jackie," I whine, getting into her face. "Who?" I plead, dragging out the vowel. She pushes my face away from hers and points out the window, to the apartment building.

And may I say...

Holy mother of Jesus.

"WHAT THE—" Jackie smacks me before I can finish my reaction towards the interior of the apartment. "No cussing. The baby can hear it." I frown and rub my head on the spot she smacked me. "It's barely pebble shaped."

"Actually... it's pea shaped. You're only five weeks. So you have to make this count." I see the sun start to rise through the open blinds, reminding me that it's morning in Japan already. I quickly run to shut them. I groan when they don't close with my hands and require for me to press one of the many buttons by the balcony doors. "Don't throw tantrums. It's bad for you." I huff, blowing my hair out of my face. It's really annoying when she's being smart. "Did you research again?" She nods and hums. I smile triumphantly when I touch the right button on the screen and the blinds close. I smile contently then yawn. "What you don't do for school, you do for me. That—" I yawn again and take off my sweatpants, staying in the big t-shirt I wore on the plane. I pull back the duvet on our bed as I say, "That says a lot. Goodnight. I need my sleep and if you researched enough, you'll know it." She laughs and goes off to do something, while my mind drifts away from the nerves and stress I'm feeling.