29

"You look wonderful" My mom said fixing my tie

"Thanks mom, and thanks for dealing with my shit for these past 17 years" I said looking down at her

She didn't even yell at me for cursing but instead smiled and fought to hold back her tears.

"I wish your father was here to see you grow up and become the man you truly are" She said hugging me then leaving my room to go get ready.

I just stared in my mirror, looking at my reflection. I actually made it, I was about to enter the real world, where people don't give a shit about you. I was truly going to be on my own, having to fight my own battles now.

I mentally prepared for the speech I had to give. I didn't want it to be long and boring because I remember the valedictorian at Shay's graduation just wouldn't shut up about how "This is not the end, the the beginning" bullshit.

I picked up my black gown off my bed and slipped it on. The guys were wearing black whereas the girls wore white. In addition to the gown, I had to wear my blue graduation stole around neck since I was valedictorian and Mia wore a goldish one for being salutatorian.

"Hey you ready, we bout to leave" Rodney said standing at my door

"Yeah but let me talk to you for a minute" I said nodding my head for him to come forward

He closed the door behind him and took a seat on my bed.

"What's up?" He asked curiously

I took a seat next to him before I started to talk

"So you know you my brother right? and because you my family now, imma need to to protect these women when I'm gone. Ma already like you better than me anyways so you don't got anything to worry about. Just make sure you do anything in your power to keep these girls safe. Can I trust you with that?" I asked him

"course man, they my family to now. I wouldn't let anyone lay they hands on them" He said with confidence

"I love you bro" I said giving him a dap

"love you too fam"

•¥•

"Thank you students, parents, teacher and faculty for joining us today for Saint Josephs High school class of 2017 graduation" My principal said

I was seated on the stage next to Mia looking around at the crowd of students and parents. I couldn't believe that this was actually happening. I spotted Markus in the crowd looking directly at me with a smile.

I was so nervous about giving my speech that I wasn't even focused on the ceremony it's self.

"I can't believe this shit" I whispered to Mia

"We finally made it" She said happily

I looked over my speech as I waited for my turn right after Mia.

"Thank you Mia Thomson, and now I would like to welcome this remarkable young man. He just joined us this year but from the beginning we knew that he was going to be a great addition to this school. He has done outstanding academically, and has shown all the qualities of a leader. It was no surprise to me when his teachers nominated him for the spot of valedictorian. So now I present to you the class of 2017's valedictorian, Malachi Richardson" My principal said

Everyone started to clap and cheer as I walked up to the podium. I expected some people to clap, but literally everyone was on their feet clapping and chanting my name.

'What's up class of 2017?" I said causing everyone to clap

"Today is the day. We are finally getting out of this hellhole" I said causing everyone to laugh

"We are now on our own, to make our own decision and choose for ourselves. Our mommies and daddies aren't going to barge into our college dorms and tell us to get our ass to class. As a very wise man said 'you have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose.' My man Dr. Seuss. We shouldn't let anyone have the opinion on what we do after today and how we decided to do it. Nobody should tell you how to live your life besides yourself

"I know I'm new to this school and all, but like you I have had my hard times in high school. From being late to class, getting yelled at by the teacher for talking when you weren't actually talking, to simply not wanting to wake up early to go to school. I remember waking up on a Friday morning, in my freshmen year pretending to be sick all because I had forgotten to do my English project. Those were the years I used to procrastinate. I also remember the time I got detention for getting caught in the lunch room when I had a class, English. By now you can tell that I hated English class.

"The point of me telling you this is to let you know that even though these were what we consider the worst years of our lives, they actually shaped us to be who we are today. Maybe you were not so tough before, but as you have gone through those hell doors every morning, five days a week, ten months a year, you toughen up. Or maybe you were the kid that wasn't very social, but as the years went on you made a few friends.

"High school was just the beginning, and I'm not here to tell you that everything from now on will be flowers and lollipops because it won't. There is a real world out there of people who will try to bring you down, call you names, go out of there way to make sure you don't succeed. But it is your choice to let them, you can either let them knock you down, or prove them wrong and show them what your made up of.

"Today's society is filled with haters that don't like to see you succeed. Dj Khaled is always saying 'they don't want you to win', whoever they is. But he's right. And that's why you have to work hard for yourself. Don't do anything for anyone else besides yourself, and don't depend on anyone to do it for you. The world is full of seven billion people, what makes you different from them? What makes you, you?

"The last thing I want you to take from this, is for you to not only become better for yourself, or your family and friends, but become better for the whole world. There is no possible way to change the world we live in without each and everyone of you. Let us be the generation to end racism, discrimination, and all types things set up to hurt us.

"I know you all have the power, and you will all thrive to make this world a better place. I believe that you all have the potential to do the best that we can. I want to say good luck to you all and what ever you want to do from this point on. And to tell you never to give up on yourself, because the only person who could truly ever make you happy is you. I'd like to not only thank God for where I am today, but my mother, my family and friends, my amazing teachers, and more importantly you. I could not have made it here without you guys being by my side, we have all gone through the struggles of high school together. But its now time to go through the struggles of life alone, with the help of our wonderful people around us to support us.

"Congratulations to us class of 2017, I can't wait to see what you go on to achieve" I concluded

Everyone was up and standing clapping their hands. I took a bow and went back to take my seat. All the students started to line up as the principal called everyone's name in alphabetical order.

When it was finally my turn I walked up there with confidence and shook my principals hand taking the fake diploma rolled up in his hand. I still couldn't believe it. I was finally graduating from high school. It would be a lie if I said I wasn't going to miss this place, but life moves on. I have to think of the positives of my future, like college.

I Malachi Richardson, am now a high school graduate.