Chapter 3: App That Grinds

Chapter 3
App That Grinds

If there's one thing I just hate about Aunt Delilah, it's that her bringing her kids here. They are going to stay for God knows how long, which means Melody, the cousin of mine who likes to bury her nose into someone else's business, is going to be staying with us.

Melody is really a great cousin of mine, and I'm not complaining about that. It's just that, sometimes she's too nosy, and she'll do anything to make you spill your deepest, darkest secrets to her by force. She's evil most of the time.

As the morning rises, the beam of the sun seeping past through the curtained windows, I turn around, looking at the clock with disdain. It's already 6:45 in the morning. I just woke up fifteen minutes ago. I'm not really exactly a morning person, it's just that I hate to get up early in the morning. I prefer to wake up at 8 or 9, but because of the stupid classes that I have, I need to wake up earlier than my preferred time.

Derek is sleeping soundly in the other room, and I can practically hear his snoring, which is quite loudly. Rolling over the bed, I stare at the ceiling for a few minutes (since it's part of my morning routine) and sooner or later, I will get up and prepare myself for school. Knowing that Derek is a heavy sleeper, I'll make it a requirement for today to wake him up. Shaking him just to wake him up will not do any good. If I have to splash him a cold water just to wake him up fully, I would totally do so without hesitations, but my mother would definitely scold me.

Groaning and tossing over the sheets, I hoist myself up and grumpily walk towards the bathroom's direction, starting the real morning routine I prefer.

Once I'm prepared, dressed as a good student of Sky International School I am, I immediately head into Derek's room, and I see him still sprawled on the bed, mouth open as a drool escapes at the edge of his lips. Upon seeing it, I make a face at him and shake him rather violently and my best friend lets out a groan, but rolls anyway, his head diving into the pillows.

"Derek, we're going to be late if you're not going to wake up now!" I whisper-yell, since I don't want to wake up my father by my voice. Trust me, my father is a beast when someone ruins his beauty sleep. He's not a morning person, so you really have to be careful about the tone of your voice in the morning if you don't want your day to be ruined by him. "Why are you so lazy?"

My best friend speaks, his voice muffled and I hit him on his bare back, which makes him turn around and glare at me. "Later," he murmurs, hugging a pillow, which I immediately grab to prevent him from snuggling with it. Derek sighs, hoisting himself up and sitting cross-legged as he looks at me. He begins to rub his eyes, trying to wipe the sleepiness off. "Fine, fine. I'm awake now."

Watching him and tapping my foot impatiently on the ground, he reluctantly gets out of the bed, trudging his way to the bathroom and he shuts the door close with a loud thud. I glare at the door and look around, trying to hear if my father has gotten awake just because of the stunt my best friend pulled. I don't hear any footsteps at all, so that's a hint that I'm safe. I get out of my best friend's room, deciding that I should wait for him downstairs in the kitchen once he's ready. Knowing him, he'll spend a few minutes in the bathroom doing nothing and then he'll act like a lightning bolt later on once he realizes that we're about to be late.

When I reach the kitchen, my day has almost been ruined when I see my cousin Melody tapping her pink-painted nails on the table, waiting patiently for the bacons and eggs my mother is preparing. Since it's my father's day off, my mother hasn't made any chocolate drinks at all. She's only making it whenever my father has a work.

Melody sees me making my way towards the fridge, and I do all my best to ignore her, to keep her from prying into my business. "Good morning, Beau." Her sweet voice resonates in my ears, and I want to snap at her that there's nothing good in mornings, but that would be quite rude, especially both Aunt Delilah and mother are here.